Proposed FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyishBlob

Cadet
I've been lurking around on here for about a month, and finally decided to go public. I've read the recommended hardware guide, CyberJocks FreeNAS Guide, other bits in the resources section on RAM/PSU's and had a play around with a FreeNAS install in VirtualBox as well as setting up a basic windows share for it.

However I'm still concerned there will be shortcomings with my knowledge of the subject matter, so yea no kicking please.

With that said, feedback on the solution described, in order to meet my use case would be appreciated.

(High level abstraction of) Use case/Envisaged purpose

· Home use

· Minimum 7.2TB of usable storage space for media (RAW files, JPG’s, videos etc)

· File share to Windows machines and ‘Smart TV’s’ (and Android tablets if possible)

· Some level of redundancy

· 1-3 simultaneous users tops, likely just 1 user really.

· Automated backup (open minded as to what form this could take (possibly using Rsync or ZFS send and receive; excluding 3rd party 'cloud' services)

· Ability to keep media okey dokey over the long term (So ZFS, Bitrot protection etc)

Hardware:

• CPU: Intel G4560 (ECC support, Hyperthreading)
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O (for reference 8 x SATA ports)
  • RAM: 8GB (to be expanded to 16GB) of Samsung DDR4 ECC 2133Mhz 1.2v, S/N: M391A1G43EB1; which is on Supermicro's vendor approved list
  • HDD's: 6 x 3TB assorted drives (I want to use my existing mismatched drives, but this has me slightly concerned, and i cant remember what each of them are at this point in time. However 2-4 drives will likely be replaced with WD Red NAS HDD's, so i'm open to opinion on this, but the additional cost is going to kill me)
  • PSU: FractalDesign 450 Watt 80+ Bronze (230v)
  • UPS: None (Am i being misguided)
  • Case: DIY (Acrylic/metal construction, with at least 2 x 120mm fans, i know HDD's like being kept 30-40C tops ideally)

My current thinking regarding the storage setup
: RAID-Z2, illustrated below:
upload_2018-4-18_15-13-19.png

*Storage space calculated using ZFS / RAIDZ Capacity Calculator (beta) at http://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I want to use my existing mismatched drives, but this has me slightly concerned, and i can't remember what each of them are at this point in time.
Mismatched drives are fine, just do burn-in testing on them before you create the pool and load any data into it. Thereafter, keep an eye on the health of the drives and if one fails, you can replace it then. It is quite unlikely that you will have more than one fail at a time, but I always suggest having a spare ready or a source to get a spare quickly. Even with new drives, it is best to run them through a burn-in before putting them in the pool to attempt to weed out the ones that are not going to last.
Please check the "Useful Links" in my signature for details on the burn-in and testing for a new system.
UPS: None (Am i being misguided)
I would say, any system that you want to be reliable needs a UPS, even if the power where you are is very reliable, it is an insurance policy protecting your equipment and you data.
Ability to keep media okey dokey over the long term (So ZFS, Bitrot protection etc)
This makes me think you want it to be reliable...

Inxsible

Guru
File share to Windows machines and ‘Smart TV’s’ (and Android tablets if possible)
Its possible on Android tablets.
Some level of redundancy
Go with RaidZ2.
  • CPU: Intel G4560 (ECC support, Hyperthreading)
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O (for reference 8 x SATA ports)
  • RAM: 8GB (to be expanded to 16GB) of Samsung DDR4 ECC 2133Mhz 1.2v, S/N: M391A1G43EB1; which is on Supermicro's vendor approved list
If you want to save some money, you can go with X9/X10 and DDR3 -- but since you are in the UK, I am not sure if you will save a lot as many users in EU claim that going with DDR3 RAM doesn't save them that much over DDR4(about 80 quids, give or take). But in the US, the prices are definitely much cheaper for DDR3 as compared to DDR4

GreyishBlob

Cadet
Yea i have to admit i was confident enough to grab an 8GB stick and the motherboard already, having seen another user with a very similar build get the thumbs up. However as you say you can save something on going with DDR3 but i just found it very frustrating to find an acceptable Supermicro motherboard (actually in stock) with DDR3 that actually cost less (much of it is only about 10-20% cheaper than DDR4) at the same time, so much back and forth i decided to just swallow the cost otherwise i would have gone insane.

As for the UPS, the last time i can remember having a power cut here was pre-1995, but ill put it on the list since i might be able to get away without 4 new NAS drives. Shame you cant turn a laptop into an effective NAS.

Any recommended UPS models? Or anything to avoid.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.