Properly Rebalance VDEVs - Nothing Really Seems to Work Well

dizydre21

Dabbler
Hello,

I am on TrueNAS Scale and have a main TrueNAS system on a Supermicro X11 platform and a backup TrueNAS system running on a W680 platform. Both are virtualized within Proxmox and have been pretty solid for quite some time. My issues below are likely a misunderstanding of how some of this stuff works, so forgive my frustrations if it comes off that way.

Though there are multiple questions in multiple forums about rebalancing VDEVs, I do not seem to be having much success at doing it at all. I had a Two 2x6TB mirrored VDEVs at about 70% full. I added another 2x6TB VDEV that is still nearly empty. I have manually copied some files from SMB share to SMB share.

I tried running the seemingly popular script from here https://github.com/markusressel/zfs-inplace-rebalancing by enabling apt. I don't want to dick around too hard with what everyone rightly says is an appliance so I didn't go too far down that rabbit hole, but I did enable the apt commands and ran into several issues that I am tired of troubleshooting. The errors I received appeared to be permissions related, but I don't know because I ran it as root. I would like to do something that seems to be simple to me without messing up my TrueNAS installation, so I quit there and started trying to use replication from my backup TrueNAS to my main TrueNAS.

I tried just deleting some files and using replication to rebuild what I have deleted, but with all of the reading I have done, I do not think I understand how this is supposed to work. No files are ever replicated or put back on the main TrueNAS machine. I have had replication from the main TrueNAS system to the backup system working for months. Still, replication in the other direction appears to be setup the same way, yet no dice.

How can I re-balance my VDEVs without destroying the entire pool? I would like the read and write performance from three fairly balanced 2x6TB mirrors, hence the post. It doesn't have to be perfect or anything.

What am I missing here'?