Procedure for replacing a disk

balanga

Patron
My TrueNAS box is running low on space and I was thinking of replacing the disk with a bigger one. Is there a recommended procedure for doing this? I was thinking of initially attaching the new disk via a USB enclosure and copying all the data from the old disk to the new disk and then replacing the old disk...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there a recommended procedure for doing this?
You can follow the process in the manual: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/storage/disks/diskreplace/ treating the disk to be replaced as if it's failed.

This assumes you have no free space to put an additional disk in the system during the resilvering.

Personally, I would advise you to avoid the use of USB attached disks where possible, but it is technically possible to do it as you suggested.

Assuming you are using any form of RAID > 1 (i.e. other than 0). If you are not using any form of RAID > 1, you are SOL.

1. Confirm auto expand enabled, if not enable

Code:
zpool get autoexpand
zpool set autoexpand=on {pool}

2. Click on pools, status, select replace from pull down for disk you want to replace.

3. Remove old drive and insert new larger drive

4. Select new larger off line disk and click replace

5. Wait for resilver to complete.

6. Repeat process until all disks are replaced with larger disks.

P.S. Google can be your friend

balanga

Patron
You can follow the process in the manual: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/storage/disks/diskreplace/ treating the disk to be replaced as if it's failed.

This assumes you have no free space to put an additional disk in the system during the resilvering.

Personally, I would advise you to avoid the use of USB attached disks where possible, but it is technically possible to do it as you suggested.

There is no space for a second disk so I can only attach it via USB, so the new disk would be the USB disk initially until everything was copied and then it would replace the original, but would I need to do anything to the new disk to make it bootable?

Alternatively I thought about taking out both disks and attaching them to a FreeBSD system, mounting both and then copying the contents from one to the other, but don't know if that would work.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There is no space for a second disk so I can only attach it via USB, so the new disk would be the USB disk initially until everything was copied and then it would replace the original, but would I need to do anything to the new disk to make it bootable?
OK, if the forum is going to help you without proposing something dangerous, we need to know more about your setup.

Can you share the hardware and pool layout of your TrueNAS Box? (it may help to share the output from zpool status -v)

Dan Tudora

Patron
Alternatively I thought about taking out both disks and attaching them to a FreeBSD system, mounting both and then copying the contents from one to the other, but don't know if that would work.
hello
Can boot with "Recovery is possible" RIP linux and use dd_rescue to do the job.
dd_rescue /dev/old_disk /dev/new-usb-disk and after that you are a "verrry" exact copy of the old_disk
cheers

balanga

Patron
OK, if the forum is going to help you without proposing something dangerous, we need to know more about your setup.

Can you share the hardware and pool layout of your TrueNAS Box? (it may help to share the output from zpool status -v)

I have TrueNAS running on Lenovo M92 Tiny with a 2TB disk and 8GB of RAM. It has been running as a home system for the last four years and with the constant dumping of data onto it, space is running out.

zpool status -v
Code:
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
    still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
    the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
    the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:04:27 with 0 errors on Sun May 16 03:49:27 2021
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    freenas-boot                                  ONLINE       0     0     0
      gptid/e7bb47c4-a91d-11e6-869d-00232467a5a8  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: nas
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
    still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
    the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
    the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 08:22:12 with 0 errors on Sun Apr 25 08:22:17 2021
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    nas                                           ONLINE       0     0     0
      gptid/e1a792a8-1145-11e5-9c84-00232467a5a8  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

sretalla