Problems adding up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

George51

Contributor
Okay so after doing a fresh install, I have been hitting up against numerous little problems.

First one https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/zpool-import-issues.28529/ - to do with importing the zpool so its persistent between reboots. [EDIT: This has been resolved in the thread https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/8793]

Second one: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/checksum-mismatches-after-install-verification.28517/ - getting the same mismatch on the resolv.conf

Third one (and one I want fixed ASAP before I have a power cut): I had a small power cut - noticed I didn;'t getmy usual UPS ONBATT email, or when the power restored get my UPS ONLINE email. Quick check of the settings the UPS service was still on, looking at its configuration however the driver is "----------" and there is no option on the drop down menu to pick anything else. It's an APC Smart UPS, and if I remember correctly it used to have APCsmart as its driver. I turned the service off, and now it won't turn back on - so currently my UPS is useless...

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I just read all those threads.

The resolv.conf is a non-issue. Ignore it. The problem is bigger than just that file, and the issue is being tracked down. But the resolv.conf failing does not indicate FreeNAS cannot do it's functions for you.

The zpool import I'm not familar with. I'd put a bug ticket in and provide some good step-by-step instructions to reproduce your issue. Also you may want to reference ticket 8325 with your new ticket.

There's some internal discussions going on here because something is not quite right, and I think we've actually seen this at iX yesterday and it was, until now, a bit confusing. But I think I'm getting a grip on what is going on.

George51

Contributor
Well, I just read all those threads.

The resolv.conf is a non-issue. Ignore it. The problem is bigger than just that file, and the issue is being tracked down. But the resolv.conf failing does not indicate FreeNAS cannot do it's functions for you.

Happy - I will ignore that for the time being

The zpool import I'm not familar with. I'd put a bug ticket in and provide some good step-by-step instructions to reproduce your issue. Also you may want to reference ticket 8325 with your new ticket.

Will do that, will post the ticket here when I have done.

There's some internal discussions going on here because something is not quite right, and I think we've actually seen this at iX yesterday and it was, until now, a bit confusing. But I think I'm getting a grip on what is going on.

Is this in reference to the UPS? Or still referencing the zpool import?

Thanks

JoelN

Dabbler
I had a small power cut - noticed I didn;'t getmy usual UPS ONBATT email, or when the power restored get my UPS ONLINE email. Quick check of the settings the UPS service was still on, looking at its configuration however the driver is "----------" and there is no option on the drop down menu to pick anything else. It's an APC Smart UPS, and if I remember correctly it used to have APCsmart as its driver. I turned the service off, and now it won't turn back on - so currently my UPS is useless...

Any help would be appreciated

After upgrading to the March 19th stable I also noticed no drivers were available for my UPS (just "----------") and, of course, my UPS didn't connect properly. I reverted to a previous build which works fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After upgrading to the March 19th stable I also noticed no drivers were available for my UPS (just "----------") and, of course, my UPS didn't connect properly. I reverted to a previous build which works fine.

GUI shows no drivers at all for me. However, the UPS is being correctly monitored, as I just unplugged it and got two emails informing me of the power failure and its return.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
GUI shows no drivers at all for me. However, the UPS is being correctly monitored, as I just unplugged it and got two emails informing me of the power failure and its return.
Confirm. Mine doesn't show it either. Has this been put in the redmine? If not, Eric, are you going to handle it?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Delfairen

Cadet
Is there an alternative for those of us that have just setup FreeNAS and don't have a fallback config for the UPS.

My NAS is connected to a UPS so as long as its a short power issue I'm not too worried but I need the UPS to be able to pass the signal to shutdown in case of a larger power issue.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Is there an alternative for those of us that have just setup FreeNAS and don't have a fallback config for the UPS.

My NAS is connected to a UPS so as long as its a short power issue I'm not too worried but I need the UPS to be able to pass the signal to shutdown in case of a larger power issue.
You're absolutely right sir.

The bug report is filed, and it is the kind of thing that would generally be fixed right away and released in the next update. I think you'll only have to wait a couple days.

At least I hope so. It's probably a really stupid mistake that easily corrected. I'd say, hang tight for a few days, and there should be a system update.

Delfairen

Cadet
You're absolutely right sir.

The bug report is filed, and it is the kind of thing that would generally be fixed right away and released in the next update. I think you'll only have to wait a couple days.

At least I hope so. It's probably a really stupid mistake that easily corrected. I'd say, hang tight for a few days, and there should be a system update.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As a temporary solution, you can try a network UPS. That part of the GUI might not be broken.
You do need a second device to act as a NUT server.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As a temporary solution, you can try a network UPS. That part of the GUI might not be broken.
You do need a second device to act as a NUT server.

It finally supports a remote NUT server? I musta missed that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nominally at least. I couldn't get it to work within the 5 minutes it took me to get sick of the barrage of emails telling me the UPS was disconnected.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think the effort needed to make a stopgap for the 72 hours that it's likely to take for the guys to fix this is overkill. :)

In the meantime, his UPS is plugged in, and unless the power is out for an hour, he'll be fine.

pschatz100

Guru
Are these problems related to software or a hardware configuration? I don't see any references to particular FreeNAS builds.

I have been running the STABLE train, starting with a fresh install on 3/8,
then an update to 201503150158,
then an update to 201503170439,
and now 201503200528.

My reason for the frequent updates was related to a problem with a plugin. Through all of this, I had no issues with my UPS setup.

Regarding the original post claiming numerous little problems after a fresh install, I had a curious problem when I did my fresh install on 3/8 and I bring this up because the OP has mirrored boot drives in his hardware. Since I was doing a fresh install, I decided to do the installation onto mirrored flash drives. The installation seemed to run OK, but the system hung when it tried to reboot. I removed one of the flash drives, then re-ran the installation - which finished OK. I imported my configuration, made certain everything was working as expected, then added back the second flash drive and created a mirrored boot volume. Since then, I have been wondering if there was some issue related to doing a fresh install onto a pair of devices.

rogerh

Guru

I have had no problems since 9.2.1.5 in using FreeNAS NUT to act as a slave to a NUT server on another machine. As long as you use the correct username, password and ups name from the other machine's configuration it has worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.