Problem with RTL8112L nic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ids73

Cadet
hi there,

few days ago i got an Asus P7H55m-si motherbord which has on bord gig lan RTL8112L. After installing Freenas 8.0.2 amd64 i seems that it doens find the onbord card i had a look on the hardware list of freenas and i didnt find the card on the list. is that any dirvers that i can use or any walkaround in order to use the onbord card?

kindly

ps : i have sent an email to the company and they told me that i can use the drivers for the RTL8111 but i will have to recomplie the kernel and i have no idea how to do that

zerg

Dabbler
You can use compiled drivers from this link:
http://www.kristijan.org/2010/11/freenas-realtek-network-card/

There is an easier way to put driver to destination folder
(from http://samkear.com/system-administration/freenas-8-firmware-update-fails-using-the-gui
)
1. Log in to FreeNAS via SSH
2. Remount the root filesystem as read/write (mount -uw /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a)
3. Copy if_re.ko to /cf/boot/kernel (using for example WinSCP. Actually /boot/kernel is not in /cf in freenas8 but it is easy to find with WinSCP)

4. Edit /cf/boot/loader.conf and add the following line:
if_re_load="YES"
(if you have x64 system - use x64 driver (if_re_amd64.ko) .So line should be: if_re_amd64_load="YES")
5. reboot

(I have slightly better performance with realtek 1.80 drivers on the 8111c chip than with stock ones)

Ids73

Cadet
first of all thanks for the peply
i have tried to performe what you have meansion but it gives me the following error message "module_register_init:MOD_LOAD (pci/if_re, 0xffffffff80570c10, 0xffffffff81037420) error 22" any idea why? and the card it doesnt work

zerg

Dabbler
I suppose you are using amd64 version of Freenas. So you should use 64bit driver (if_re_amd64.ko from the second link titled "ethernet Driver for AMD64").

Ids73

Cadet
yes that is true i am using the Freenas 64bit but i also use the if_re_amd64.ko file and the result is from using the 64bit file

swat565

Dabbler
Not to hijack, but I'm having the same problem as OP. Being that the first link is for 7.2 (tryed and it didn't work), I was going to move on to your method, but how do I SSH if my network card is the very thing needing the drivers?

zerg

Dabbler
I am using another (intel) card for this (taken off temporarly from another PC)

maledyris

Cadet
This thread is 5 months old, but since I've just recently been struggling with getting my RTL8101E to work, I thought I'd add some notes for future reference.
Namely, no one else actually mentions how to roll your own driver. This is important since it's looking like many of these Realtek chipsets don't work out of the box with FreeBSD.
Here are the steps I went through to compile my own driver:

1. Download driver source from Realtek site.
2. If you don't already have one, set up a FreeBSD virtual machine (perhaps using Joe Schmuck's excellent tutorial on how to build FreeNAS 8.x).
3. Untar the driver source, and read the readme.txt. Follow steps 3 and 4 (under Method 2) for how to build the driver on your virtual machine. Ignore the other steps.
4. You will have built a driver called if_re.ko in the current working directory. Copy that file to a USB, or CD/DVD.
5. You can now follow the steps mentioned on the kristijan.org website, namely copying the file to /boot/kernel/, and editing /boot/loader.conf on your FreeNAS system.
6. Once you've done all that, on reboot DHCP should be working fine with your ethernet controller.

swat565

Dabbler
This thread is 5 months old, but since I've just recently been struggling with getting my RTL8101E to work, I thought I'd add some notes for future reference.
Namely, no one else actually mentions how to roll your own driver. This is important since it's looking like many of these Realtek chipsets don't work out of the box with FreeBSD.
Here are the steps I went through to compile my own driver:

1. Download driver source from Realtek site.
2. If you don't already have one, set up a FreeBSD virtual machine (perhaps using Joe Schmuck's excellent tutorial on how to build FreeNAS 8.x).
3. Untar the driver source, and read the readme.txt. Follow steps 3 and 4 (under Method 2) for how to build the driver on your virtual machine. Ignore the other steps.
4. You will have built a driver called if_re.ko in the current working directory. Copy that file to a USB, or CD/DVD.
5. You can now follow the steps mentioned on the kristijan.org website, namely copying the file to /boot/kernel/, and editing /boot/loader.conf on your FreeNAS system.
6. Once you've done all that, on reboot DHCP should be working fine with your ethernet controller.

Thanks for responding, despite I solved the problem already, you never know who might stumble upon this just like you did and find the solution :)

I ended up just spending 30 dollars on a Intel NIC, it was the path of least resistance, spending another 30 dollars vs paying for my time to compile the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.