Highpoint Rocket 640L not working - driver issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

edannert

Cadet
I just bought and installed a Highpoint Rocket 640L card to add another 4 SATA ports to my existing 7 on my Asus mobo. The card recognises the two disks attached to it. However, I can't seem to get the drivers setup correctly in FreeNAS. I am using the 8.0 amd64 FreeBSD drivers which came with the card, but get an "card not found error" when I load the driver.

Anyone got any hints/suggestions what to try next or was able to use this card?

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Strongly suggest instead putting a ticket on the bug tracker.

ShaharHD

Dabbler
Done :)

https://support.freenas.org/ticket/1950

and got the reply of :

FreeBSD SVN rev w/ change is 236737, merged to stable/9 and stable/8

and

Status changed from new to accepted
Milestone set to 8.3.1-RELEASE
Thanks dwhite.
Committed in r12902
comment:4 Changed 18 minutes ago by william

Status changed from accepted to closed
Resolution set to fixed

if I would have done it two days ago - it would have been fixed in 8.3.0-p1 which went live yesterday ... :(

tac12345

Dabbler
or maybe we could build freenas from svn, and with this fix included, there should not be any major change since p1 right? or i'm wrong?

or just using the next nightly should do the trick?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Nightlies are not advised. The FreeNAS developers occasionally change things in the database in a way that can't be imported forward into the next RELEASE.

ShaharHD

Dabbler
I don't think there's no need to pull a night release.

My guess is that we can go by using 8.3.0-p1 (SVN 12825), and then just incorporate the following patch: http://sourceforge.net/p/freenas/code/12903/
and build our own freenas custom image.

I'll setup a VM on my ESXi machine to try and compile an image in the next few days.
but I wonder if I need to update the whole image or is it enough to just replace a certain file?

And another question, where is the file in the source code I need to change the "Build Name"?
Currently it says
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)
I wish to change it to something to reflect the change...

ShaharHD

Dabbler
well ... i just tested it with 8.3.1-p1 - and the 640L with 2 drives connected - and both drives are recognized correctly (including drive serial number).

My 640L is v1 of the card, so the chipset ID is Marvell 88SE9230 (I have v1 of the 640L) and according to the documention - 9230 is the one verified.

According to highpoint website , the v2 of the 640L should be with the Marvell 88SE9235 (0x92351b4b) - which was guessed by the person who wrote the patch for the freebsd driver.

can anyone verify that v2 of the 640L works?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I see that this is an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to mention that I've been running a 640L with FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 for several weeks now without any issues. The card defaults to JBOD mode, and all the SMART data and serial numbers pass through unscathed.

One gotcha that confused me at the start was, without any disks attached, the card doesn't appear in POST.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One gotcha that confused me at the start was, without any disks attached, the card doesn't appear in POST.

Some cards do that, including those based on LSI 2008/2308 SAS controllers. It's stupid and hinders troubleshooting, but we have to live with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.