Problem with HDD import

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolis

Cadet
Hello to all FreeNas enthusiasts!!!

I had installed the previous version of FreeNas in a old motherboard with 2 HDD (ada1, ada2 / Raid 1). After some mishandlings by my self, now i can not to auto import the volumes. Since i have stored a lot of personal data in these HDDs i need to help me how to import the existing HDD's without to format them. I tried to do this but without succesfull, using the GUI.

There are two HDD (750GB each) with a IDE compact flash on IDE 0 interface, where is installed the Freenas 8.2.0

I would appreciate to give me your help.

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Care to explain the "mishandlings"? It could be you did something really bad and your data is not recoverable...

Also, were you using a hardware RAID? If you were then you will HAVE to use a similar hardware controller. By similar I mean same company and same family of controllers. Sometimes you can get lucky without one or both, but if you want a high degree of success same family and company are recommended.

Were you using FreeNAS 8.2 before the problems? Was it working properly with no problems?

tolis

Cadet
thank you for your reply.

Mishanldlings i mean that i destroyed the raid I. I don't know how. Maybe during the boot (i use a raid controller with two sata ports, where the two HDD are installed).

Before the mentioned issue, all works fine without any problems (GUI, HDD mapping etc)

Is there any special commands to see the HDD?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Was it a hardware RAID or using ZFS's raid function? It sounds like you used a hardware RAID from your comments.

If you used the hardware RAID you are pretty much screwed afaik. That's why the manual states:

NOTE: It isn't recommended to mix ZFS RAID with hardware RAID. It is recommended that you place your hardware RAID controller in JBOD mode and let ZFS handle the RAID. According to Wikipedia: ZFS can not fully protect the user's data when using a hardware RAID controller, as it is not able to perform the automatic self-healing unless it controls the redundancy of the disks and data. ZFS prefers direct, exclusive access to the disks, with nothing in between that interferes. If the user insists on using hardware-level RAID, the controller should be configured as JBOD mode (i.e. turn off RAID-functionality) for ZFS to be able to guarantee data integrity. Note that hardware RAID configured as JBOD may still detach disks that do not respond in time; and as such may require TLER/CCTL/ERC-enabled disks to prevent drive dropouts. These limitations do not apply when using a non-RAID controller, which is the preferred method of supplying disks to ZFS.

The forum is filled with lots of people that have made the exact same mistake you have. Unfortunately newbies read the manual/forum (or don't read anything and think they can figure it out or think they know better than what the manual/forum recommends) and make some very poor decisions that result in losing all data.

If you listen to the manual and really do follow the recommendations everything will work flawlessly. Anyone that doesn't read the manual or follow the recommendations in the manual better keep backups of their data if it's important.

tolis

Cadet
thank you again for your suggestions.

The hardware was in JBOD mode and the raid function performed by FreeNas OS.
What can i do now? Is there any solution ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If the auto-import doesn't work I don't think so. Someone else with more experience might have an idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.