problem with folders shared in smb, mark as hidden

Nemesis88

Cadet
Hi have a problem, i shared my folders via smb, i can aaces and modify in windows, but in some folders with name with dot and the begining, show as hidden, example folder with name .media show as hidden but if i change to only media, show normal, what is the problem?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There is no problem. This is the usual convention in Unix operating systems: files starting with a dot are hidden.

Remember, TrueNAS Core is based on FreeBSD (Unix), and TrueNAS Scale is based on Debian Linux (also Unix).

Nemesis88

Cadet
There is no problem. This is the usual convention in Unix operating systems: files starting with a dot are hidden.

Remember, TrueNAS Core is based on FreeBSD (Unix), and TrueNAS Scale is based on Debian Linux (also Unix).
A ok thanks for your reply, and the only way is quit the dot is right?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A ok thanks for your reply, and the only way is quit the dot is right?
Windows doesn't make it particularly hard to show hidden files, and generally it's better to think in terms of how different clients interpret things (because most servers these days are accessed by Windows, Mac, and Linux clients). I.e. if you don't want a file to be hidden, don't put a dot in front of it.

If you are concerned about the behavior for dot files, you can set an auxiliary parameter on the share "hide dot files = false".

Nemesis88

Cadet
Windows doesn't make it particularly hard to show hidden files, and generally it's better to think in terms of how different clients interpret things (because most servers these days are accessed by Windows, Mac, and Linux clients). I.e. if you don't want a file to be hidden, don't put a dot in front of it.

If you are concerned about the behavior for dot files, you can set an auxiliary parameter on the share "hide dot files = false".
that work, thx