Privacy concern

pchevall

Cadet
I have just noticed that on interfaces I have a LAN ip address and a ipv6 public address. I'm able to access my TrueNas directly from the internet with that address, is that supposed to happen?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Definitely not. You need to fix your firewall and have it block (nearly) all incoming connections.

pchevall

Cadet
I tried the next setting on my router’s firewall but it blocks all ports and I have a web server running that looses access. Im new to this, what are my options?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, your option is to allow through only ports 80 and 443 - or whatever the server needs - to the specific server.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
My main concern would not be about privacy but security overall. Having any port open to "the world" these days is a tremendous risk, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I don't want to appear patronizing, but my recommendation would be to block all access and spend at least a couple of weeks time on security. For comparison, I have two firewalls in sequence and only dare to open a VPN.

pchevall

Cadet
I've been struggling with this for a while, when I put my router on the highest level of firewall I can't access neither the web server nor TrueNAS but when I allow the connection to the web server via IPV6 filtering both of them are exposed. There's not much documentation on how to set up my router, if I can't make this work which firewall would you recommend? I'm on a pretty tight budget btw

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would recommend pfSense.

On the other hand, this seems(!) to be a pretty standard scenario. So it's worth spending some time with the current router.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've been struggling with this for a while, when I put my router on the highest level of firewall I can't access neither the web server nor TrueNAS
Surely you can open specific ports?