Prevent OSX from using CIFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanri010

Explorer
I've got a network with both PCs and Macs. I have noticed that when I have both CIFS and AFP shares enabled, my mac will take a long time (10+ seconds) to try to log into the NAS many times, it will fail. Then you would have to reclick on the icon to try to get it to log in.
When I disable CIFS and just have AFP enabled, the mac instantly picks up the NAS and logs in as if that was its internal drive.

Thus, I'm suspecting that the mac will try to log into the NAS using CIFS even if you've got both enabled. Is this true? If so, how do you tell the mac to ignore the CIFS share and only use the AFP share?

fracai

Guru
AFP is deprecated with Mavericks, so it's probably preferring the CIFS share. You can connect directly to AFP by specifing that service (CMD-K or "Go > Connect to...") rather than just browsing the shares.

Nick2253

Wizard

Stanri010

Explorer
Alright, well here's my issue.

If I just have one share set up "Vault" as CIFS, both my mac and pc sees that share. However, since it's a CIFS share, I can't use Time Machine with that so I have to set up a AFP share with Time Machine enabled. If I enable a Time Machine share called "Archive", the "Vault" share disappears from the mac. Sure I can direct it sepcifically to that share by connecting to server, but it's gone form the my networks option.

Thus, if AFP is enabled, the mac will only use AFP and block out all other CIFS shares from same IP address, even if its a different share. Is there any way around this?

Ideally, I'd like to have a CIFS share for media that both can connect to and a AFP share Time Machine just for the mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.