Power consumption adequate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkoc

Explorer
Hi,

thank you to all members of this wonderful community.

I have the following build:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3, max power 96W, idle around 21W according to the linked site.
Mobo: SuperMicro X10SL7-F
PSU: Antec Basiq Power 550W: +5V Max 26A; +3.3V Max 28A; +12V1 Max 22A; +12V2 Max 22A; +12V3 Max 25A; -12V 0.5A; +5VSB Max 2.5A
+3.3V, +5V combined max 135W
+12V1, V2, V3 combined max 444W
+3.3V, +5V, +12V1, 2, 3 combined max 534W
RAM: 16GB 2x8 ECC
HDD: 4x HGST HDS722020ALA330, startup current +5V - 1.2A, 12V - 2.0A
HDD: 7x WD AV-GP WD20EVDS (EURS is almost the same as EVDS), startup current supposedly +5V - 1.0A-ish, 12V-1.75A-ish
HDDs are wired (due to cable length) as follows:
1x on its own +12V3 (red connector)
the other 10 spread in a 4x 3x 3x config on 3 PSU +12V1 connectors
CASE: Rosewill RSV-L4500. It came with 6x 120mm and 2x 80mm.
This worked fine with the stock fans but 4 HDDs bit the dust either due to age or most likely temp. It hit over 40C. So I decided to replace the fans with the ones below. I don't remember what the stock ones were in terms of amps or watts. Assume the new ones are quite more powerful.

FANS: 6x CoolerMaster JetFlo 120MM - rated for 0.4A, 4.8W EACH
4 of these these are connected with 3pin to 4pin Molex connectors (+12V and Ground for full speed) to then 2x Molex Y-Splitters which connect to that last +12V1 cable on the PSU.
The other 2 are on the Mobo headers (have 5 total)
FANS: 2x Evercool EC8038H12BA 80mm - rated for 0.6A, 7.2W EACH
Both are on the Mobo headers.

When I power it on, two 120mm of the fans simply do not power on regardless of which molex I plug them. (Possibly dead I thought but 2 out of 6...). I did NOT have time to check if they work anywhere on the headers; cable was not long enough and I did not want to dismount them from the case yet as it is a chore. I will do it tonight but wanted your input on whether the PSU will be able to power this system with the new fans and added amps/wattage?

I understand that the startup current is significantly higher than during normal operation. I'm coming up with a number of 382W at full tilt but that would only be at startup IF I am correct. My biggest unknown are the HDD power up currents. . It'll idle most of the time.

Thank you very much!

yonkoc

Explorer
Hi,

for all who might wonder: the PSU is quite adequate. The real problem was the damn stupid molex to fan adapter cables. The factory idiots had the molex pins on the wrong END of the molex connector. So instead of [+12V, Ground, Nothing, Nothing], they were [Nothing, Nothing, Ground, +12V]. So fans were, expectantly, not working. Some even had the +12V and Ground reversed on the wrong end. I found out when unplugging and plugging them the umpteeth time and happened to glance at whether +12V and +12V were making a "good" connection. Suddenly I found that +12V was connecting to Ground or +7V or Nothing. I went: you effing retards. :) A quick fix to pull and reposition properly the pins and all is fine and working!

Thanks to all took the time to read this!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That is one ridiculously overpriced PSU. At that price, you can get a proper PSU, like a Seasonic G-550.

Crummy molex chains seem to be a recurring problem, but I've never actually seen one of those. It takes a great level of incompetence.

yonkoc

Explorer
Oh, no, no, no. I merely linked it for the specs of it. I bought that mmmm 4 years ago maybe with rebates and coupons. It certainly was not $89.95. Not even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.