Pool & Vdev design question

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

For the upcoming Truenas 13 I may go a new way designing my Pool & vdevs....
One server has 8 x sata nas drives, 64gb ecc and 10gb nic.
The main usecase is smb for about 100 users (local & vpn) + periodic snapshots + replication to a different server + this server is a desitnation for replication daily from elsewhere...Currently this box has one pool with one vdev using 6 x sata disks raidz2 and the performance is just ok but not great.

So I think about the following versions for a new design:

01. 8 x sata disks (1 vdev 1 pool raidz2)

02. 8 x sata disks (2 vdev 4 each - 1 pool raidz2)

03. 8 x sata disks (1 vdev 7 disks 1 pool raidz1 + 1 hot spare)

Or does this all make not a big diff and I should switch to ssds and if so, which pool design is then recommended with 8 slots if i aim a performance gain ?

Thanks & Best !

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You may find that you're bottlenecked on metadata depending on the number of files and directories.

You may also be bottlenecked on IOPS (since RAIDZ2 has the IOPS of only one disk for the entire VDEV/pool).

If it's the second issue, you may find option 02 works to improve things.

if it's the first, either SSD(s) for L2ARC with metadata only settings for the pool datasets or a metadata special VDEV may help.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Ok cool and how do I examine which one is the bottleneck to be able to make a proper decision ;-) ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can start with a look art arc_summary

That should show if you're fully using your ARC and/or if metadata is missing a lot of hits.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
What do you think....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 17.07.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 17.07.33.png
    719.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 17.07.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 17.07.58.png
    789.5 KB · Views: 132

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Further and in general is it recommended to create 1 vdev with 8 sata disks radz2 or better 2 vdevs with 4 disks each raidz2 and why ?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
And what about version 04: 8 x sata disks - 2 vdevs 3 disks each raidz1 + 2 hot spare) ?

sretalla