Pool on 4x USB SSD + Quad USB Controller card

Hi, first time TrueNAS user. I have 4 480 gigabyte portable SSDs from a clearance sale and a quad USB 3.0 controller card I got just because I thought it was cool. I know this is a ridiculous hardware config to put my storage pool on but its what I have. Are there any specific config changes I should make for running UAS SSDs as my storage pool?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi, first time TrueNAS user. I have 4 480 gigabyte portable SSDs from a clearance sale and a quad USB 3.0 controller card I got just because I thought it was cool. I know this is a ridiculous hardware config to put my storage pool on but its what I have. Are there any specific config changes I should make for running UAS SSDs as my storage pool?

Yes, be aware that this may not work at all. USB devices are often powered by bridge chips which lie about their serial numbers, and TrueNAS will not recognize two (or more) different devices that have the same serial number as being different devices.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It should also be noted that initial success (i.e. no problems observed during the initial startup and shortly after that) does not mean it works. TrueNAS and ZFS are used to protect valuable data under pretty much all circumstances. That includes a lot of edge cases, some of which are hard to create artificially for testing. So whenever someone strays away from the well-trodden path, that risk goes up. For additional background, please read the first couple of documents in the "Recommended readings" in my signature.

As anecdotal "evidence", I can share that my current NAS had a burn-in period of about 4 months, esp. for the HDDs. Well, that was not enough. The first disk died after 7 months and the second after 9.

You provided zero information about your other hardware or the use-case. But unless we are talking about temporary data, I would avoid the setup.

my current NAS had a burn-in period of about 4 months, esp. for the HDDs. Well, that was not enough. The first disk died after 7 months and the second after 9.
Thanks for that nightmare fuel. Now I won't be able to sleep peacefully anymore. :frown: