Pool empty after SSD broke, now unable to re-import

MediJaster

Dabbler
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.

TL;DR: An SSD broke, when the replacement came I shut down the server, installed the new SSD, rebooted it and the pool was empty. Now I can't import the pool
The issue started about month ago (almost two now), the SSD started showing up as degraded to then become faulted a few days later. Since the SSD reported as faulted was pretty much new (maybe 2 months old) I assumed the fault was with my motherboard's SATA ports or controller. Since these were SSDs I wanted to invest in a proper HBA (not the very cheap SATA pcie 1x expansion card from amazon i use for my main storage HDD pool, which has been working for the past 2 years nonetheless), which I now have successfully installed in my NAS. When I saw that there was a drive missing I assumed it was the SATA power splitter that was causing the issue, so I waited for a new one, which arrived today. I have now confirmed that one of the SSDs is the actual culprit of all these issues (at least now I have a proper hardware to connect all the ssds, the sata ports I had them connected to on my motherboard are mostly sata 2).

The affected pool (called "PlatinumPool", yes it's a jojo reference) consists of 1 raidz1 vdev of 4 SSDs and it was used mainly for apps and VMs.
I currently have connected all 5 of the drives, 3 that are working, the faulted one and the replacement.
The web interface shows that I have 4 unassigned drives and that the pool has no drives and if I go to Storage>Disks the drives show up as<pool name>(Exported).
This is the output of zpool import:
Code:
  pool: PlatinumPool
     id: 10427529320122961827
  state: FAULTED
 action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
    The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
    the '-f' flag.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
 config:

PlatinumPool                              FAULTED  corrupted data
      raidz1-0                                DEGRADED
        4fd97ded-9c99-45b6-8f46-19bf3fc195d6  ONLINE
        3a7df339-2c15-40c9-ac11-0a0dadf2e8fd  ONLINE
        81f65718-db5f-4588-9ac9-ce3b2c2c7a3c  UNAVAIL
        8128c1e9-24f9-4644-8dd9-ec053be05551  ONLINE

I also tried running zpool import -f PlatinumPool:
Code:
cannot import 'PlatinumPool': I/O error
    Destroy and re-create the pool from
    a backup source.

Is the data really all gone? It was far from mission critical, and I do have the stuff I care about backed up to my main storage pool, but It certainly would be nice to have my VMs back how they were.

Thanks again for reading this, I sincerely look forward to any suggestions.
Feel free to ask for other infomation or other debugging outputs, I'll be more than happy to provide them.

Apollo

Wizard
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.

TL;DR: An SSD broke, when the replacement came I shut down the server, installed the new SSD, rebooted it and the pool was empty. Now I can't import the pool
The issue started about month ago (almost two now), the SSD started showing up as degraded to then become faulted a few days later. Since the SSD reported as faulted was pretty much new (maybe 2 months old) I assumed the fault was with my motherboard's SATA ports or controller. Since these were SSDs I wanted to invest in a proper HBA (not the very cheap SATA pcie 1x expansion card from amazon i use for my main storage HDD pool, which has been working for the past 2 years nonetheless), which I now have successfully installed in my NAS. When I saw that there was a drive missing I assumed it was the SATA power splitter that was causing the issue, so I waited for a new one, which arrived today. I have now confirmed that one of the SSDs is the actual culprit of all these issues (at least now I have a proper hardware to connect all the ssds, the sata ports I had them connected to on my motherboard are mostly sata 2).

The affected pool (called "PlatinumPool", yes it's a jojo reference) consists of 1 raidz1 vdev of 4 SSDs and it was used mainly for apps and VMs.
I currently have connected all 5 of the drives, 3 that are working, the faulted one and the replacement.
The web interface shows that I have 4 unassigned drives and that the pool has no drives and if I go to Storage>Disks the drives show up as<pool name>(Exported).
This is the output of zpool import:
Code:
  pool: PlatinumPool
     id: 10427529320122961827
  state: FAULTED
 action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
    The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
    the '-f' flag.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
 config:

PlatinumPool                              FAULTED  corrupted data
      raidz1-0                                DEGRADED
        4fd97ded-9c99-45b6-8f46-19bf3fc195d6  ONLINE
        3a7df339-2c15-40c9-ac11-0a0dadf2e8fd  ONLINE
        81f65718-db5f-4588-9ac9-ce3b2c2c7a3c  UNAVAIL
        8128c1e9-24f9-4644-8dd9-ec053be05551  ONLINE

I also tried running zpool import -f PlatinumPool:
Code:
cannot import 'PlatinumPool': I/O error
    Destroy and re-create the pool from
    a backup source.

Is the data really all gone? It was far from mission critical, and I do have the stuff I care about backed up to my main storage pool, but It certainly would be nice to have my VMs back how they were.

Thanks again for reading this, I sincerely look forward to any suggestions.
Feel free to ask for other infomation or other debugging outputs, I'll be more than happy to provide them.
Not sure of the issue but you could have a look at this thread:

MediJaster

Dabbler
Thank you for the reply, I've looked at the post mentioned in the post you linked, but unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to apply the same solution on SCALE. It's 1:30AM here so I'll go to bed for now, but I'll look around some more tomorrow

MrGuvernment

Patron
Are you sure you pulled the right drive out?

MediJaster

Dabbler
Are you sure you pulled the right drive out?
Thank you for the reply, I currently have them all physically connected, but since the faulty drive is completely dead it just won't show up, so I think all the drives it would need are connected (just to recap: the broken one, its replacement and the other 3 working drives that were in the original pool). When I originally added the drives to my NAS I also put labels on them with the serial number and I also double-checked them when troubleshooting this issue.