Pool config & expansion

NicJab

Cadet
Hello community!

I've got some questions about Storage/Pool config and expansion therof. First a short overview of my current and planed set-up:

Currently I'm running a Windows Server 2016 system on old hardware I've got very cheap (for free) from work. It's overpowered and consumes way to much energy (~170W in Idle), so I decided to replace the Hardware and, while I'm at it, switch to FreeNas/TrueNas Core. Primary use of the server is/will be as a Plex server for me, my family and friends.

The storage of the old server is set up as follows:
2 x 4 x 8TB RAID50 & 2 x 4 x 3TB RAID50
(Hardware RAID50, pooled together in Windows Server)

For the new TrueNas server I bought 5 additional 8TB drives to replace the older 3TB ones. So I've got a total of 13x8TB drives I plan to set up as follows:
3 x 4 x 8TB RAIDZ1 + 1 spare

My reasons for doing it this way are:
- it will provide good performance and reasonable security
- if I want to expand the storage, I only have to get 4 additional drives not 6 or 12.
- at the moment there are about 45TB of data on the old server. I don't have enough storage capacity to get all the data off the old server, set up the new one and then transfer the data back on it. So I plan to use the new drives as temporary storage, set up the new server with 2x4x8TB, transfer the data and then expand the pool to 3x4x8TB+1spare.

Now my questions:

a) What are your thoughts/suggestions on the storage config?
b) Is it correct, that I can simply add another 4 disks in another VDEV to expand the sotrage, especially the way I am planning it to do (2x4x8TB->3x4x8TB)?
c) What happens with existing data? Will it be reshuffeld and striped across all drives???

I'm asking question b) because I couldn't find a definitive answer for my specific case: All the documentation and other threads here only talk about expanding a pool with 1 existing VDEV not 2,3 or 4. As for question c): I couldn't find anything on that! Everyone only talks about how to do it, but nobody mentions what happens when/after you expand a pool by adding another VDEV...

Thank you for your time!

P.S.: Before you ask: Important/irretrievable data (docs & pics) are and will be stored on a separate mirrored pool with external/off-site back-up.

NicJab

Cadet
I think I found an answer to c) myself:
according to the FreeNAS 11.3-U5 User Guide, it says "[...] Because of the transactional design, as additional storage capacity is added, it becomes immediately available for writes. To rebalance the data, one can copy it to re-write the existing data across all available disks." (27. ZFS Primer, "ZFS is a transactional, Copy-On-Write (COW) filesystem ") So there is no automatic rebalancing but manual is possible.