plugins wont start, in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pam.d/su: insecure ownership or permis

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkavis

Explorer
Didnt work.

My question is what is the permission to be set at the ZFS DataSet called JAIL? I mean who is owner user and group?

I also played around with the sharing and ended up recursively applying permissions and screwed the JAIL Dataset.

I want to remove plugins and install again, but my problem is the plugins available list is also showing nothing.

dancnpete

Cadet
I am having the same issue all of my plugins are stuck. I even tried installing a second version of the plugins, but I get errors. Anyone know what's going on?

venkavis

Explorer
Ok. I got my problems solved. Here is how.

I was wondering in the first place what happened to my plugins list. Then I realized of this is netwok since Updates were saying unbale to find the site.

Then I found the DHCP issue post.

What you do it go to System - Network and add an interface and check DHCP. And reboot. This resolved all Plugins list and update and start.

Most of my problems solved except I don't understand what the right permissions are needed at ZPOOL and Datasets folders etc. Hope somebody resolved.

Once your DHCP is set download the latest updates and most problems would be gone.

dancnpete

Cadet
I updated my permissions now I'm getting this in my log message:

Jan 11 15:55:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[24051]: /etc/mail/submit.cf: WARNING: dangerous write permissions
Jan 11 15:55:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[24051]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(operator): can not write to queue directory /var/spool/clientmque
ue/ (RunAsGid=5, required=0): Permission denied
Jan 11 16:00:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[28331]: /etc/mail/submit.cf: WARNING: dangerous write permissions
Jan 11 16:00:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[28331]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(operator): can not write to queue directory /var/spool/clientmque
ue/ (RunAsGid=5, required=0): Permission denied
Jan 11 16:10:03 plexmediaserver_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Jan 11 16:21:21 plexmediaserver_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Jan 11 16:22:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[8528]: t0BLM0Bb008528: SYSERR(operator): collect: Cannot write ./dft0BLM0Bb008528 (bfcomm
it, uid=2, gid=5): Permission denied
Jan 11 16:22:00 plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[8528]: t0BLM0Bb008528: SYSERR(operator): queueup: cannot create queue file ./qft0BLM0Bb00
8528, euid=2, fd=-1, fp=0x0: Permission denied
Jan 11 18:24:28 plexmediaserver_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Jan 11 18:28:25 plexmediaserver_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel​

Any Thoughts?

marcevan

Patron
I updated all my media to owner ship by group media. then put in guest and root into media group and made guest the user. All works now (Sickrage, couch, plex) except transmission keeps exiting on signal 10 each daily security send. Not sure if the ownership changes did that to transmission as i also update the plugin on same day (now 2.84_1).

I think one main problem with plugins and permissions is that the plugins run under IDs that are not listed in freenas account list and are then not put into groups. Now maybe they shouldn't as plugins run in their own jails but in each works on each others stuff like mounting download directory to sickrage as well as transmission.

Pie

Dabbler
I played around a bit more with this and seems like these errors has to do with the user permissions in certain folders of the jail. I changed the permission in /etc/pam.d/* and /usr/lib/* to 700 and now I can start the plugin. I remember changing user permissions recursively of my entire zfs volume which probably caused the the plugin to stop working after the reboot of the machine. hope it helps!
I just spend about 2 hours trying to fix this.

This fixed it for me:
Code:
[root@freenas] /mnt/Root/jails/sabnzbd_1/usr/lib# chmod 755 *

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
if you had to do that to get things working you have messed up your jails and you should recreate them. You shouldn't ever have to modify the system files in your jails.

Pie

Dabbler
if you had to do that to get things working you have messed up your jails and you should recreate them. You shouldn't ever have to modify the system files in your jails.
You were right. The plugin "worked" but didn't actually behave properly. I backed up my sabnzbd.ini, re-installed the plugin, recreated my jails, and now everything is working again. It's pretty annoying that it happened in the first place though. Hopefully it doesn't happen every time I restart. ;)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It will only happen when you change the permissions of the jails. When you do this the system works as expected and prevents access to things and that will make the jails not work.

smadb

Dabbler
Hey all,
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am having familiar issues.
I used this guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...couchpotato-sickbeard-and-transmission.19043/
To install sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd, headphones and plexmediaserver. And it worked like a charm!

I rebooted my server and now none of my plugins turn on.

I tried everything which was described in the first and second page. I'm out of luck..
When I insert the following in the shell inside a jail this happens:
Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # service sabnzbd onestart
Starting sabnzbd.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

I'm out of options. Can somebody help me out?
My gut thinks there's something wrong with the permissions. But since I followed a guide, I thought I set up everything correctly.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hey all,
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am having familiar issues.
I used this guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...couchpotato-sickbeard-and-transmission.19043/
To install sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd, headphones and plexmediaserver. And it worked like a charm!

I rebooted my server and now none of my plugins turn on.

I tried everything which was described in the first and second page. I'm out of luck..
When I insert the following in the shell inside a jail this happens:
Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # service sabnzbd onestart
Starting sabnzbd.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

I'm out of options. Can somebody help me out?
My gut thinks there's something wrong with the permissions. But since I followed a guide, I thought I set up everything correctly.
You modified the permissions of your jail. The easiest way to fix this is to delete all the plugins and then all the jails if you created some then delete the jails dataset and start over. You can't every modify the permisiosn of your plugin/jails or your jail dataset.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why aren't you asking in the thread that you got the guide from?

And if you read the most recent post in that thread, one of our regulars said that it doesn't look like a good guide to follow....

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

And if you read the most recent post in that thread, one of our regulars said that it doesn't look like a good guide to follow....
That was actually referring to the video. Don't think I actually looked at the thread per se.

smadb

Dabbler

Ok, sorry.
Can you recommend another guide?

amorak

Dabbler
Having this problem after following the "SickRage/sabnzbd/transmisison" guide.... Anyone solve this? Worked amazingly until I rebooted and now none of my plugins will start...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I solved it with this command:

Code:
 chmod 755 /usr/lib/pam*
For now it's solved but really you need to reinstall all your plugins. You modified the permissions of your jail and you can't do that. Basically everything is broken in your jail now.

amorak

Dabbler
I have hours of work into setting up this jail... Any way to fix it without restarting?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Maybe the fix you did will with but I doubt it. You will be faster the second time I promise. Once you know how it works it should only take 10min.

amorak

Dabbler
I guess I spoke too soon... Now when something is snatched by SickRage, it just sits and doesnt download in SABNZD - SAB just sits at 0kbps... got the message:

ERROR:Cannot change permissions of /mnt/media/downloads/sabnzbd/incomplete

Status
Not open for further replies.