Plugins for FreeNAS and upgrading them -:- Plex-pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

oOSGearOo

Dabbler
Hi
I have installed the Plex plugin from Freenas when run though it says
"A Plex Media Server update is available for the server : 1.13.9.5456" How to go about installing the update?
When clicked on the link it downloads to the PC downloads an update for Plex to the downloads folder on windows.
How to go about installing the update on Freenass.

In another thread I reported that I could use filezilla as root so where to get the new PlexPass Plugin?
where to place it in the operating system(FreeNass)? So that it can be installed, from the web interface.

Maybe the next version off Freenass will come along soon with updated plugin, or even a beta version of Freenass with
updated plugin for Plex-pass.

Reasonably expert knowledge of windows an knowledge of Linux command's to.
--
Steve

kdragon75

Wizard
Steve, plugins are FreeBSD jails and work much like a linux container. To update plex, you would not install the binaries in FreeNAS but in the jail. The catch is that if you using the FreeNAS plugins, there intended to be hands off (for the most part). You would have to wait until the plugin is updated. I you feel compelled to always have the latest version of plex, you can build your own jail and download/install there. This is a much more manual process and will involve editing mount points for the jail, tweaking permissions, and is generally much more work than it's worth. Some middle ground can be found with using jails and using pkg to install plex. This may be a tiny bit behind the current plex version as someone has to update the pkg repo with the latest version with each update.

knowledge of Linux command's to
FreeNAS is not in any way a Linux derivative. It uses FreeBSD as the base. Many of the same userland utilities are the same but it is a different OS. (side note, FreeBSD is a FULL OS, Linux is just a kernel with a bunch of stuff tacked on for various groups);)

oOSGearOo

Dabbler
Steve, plugins are FreeBSD jails and work much like a linux container. To update plex, you would not install the binaries in FreeNAS but in the jail. The catch is that if you using the FreeNAS plugins, there intended to be hands off (for the most part). You would have to wait until the plugin is updated. I you feel compelled to always have the latest version of plex, you can build your own jail and download/install there. This is a much more manual process and will involve editing mount points for the jail, tweaking permissions, and is generally much more work than it's worth. Some middle ground can be found with using jails and using pkg to install plex. This may be a tiny bit behind the current plex version as someone has to update the pkg repo with the latest version with each update.

FreeNAS is not in any way a Linux derivative. It uses FreeBSD as the base. Many of the same userland utilities are the same but it is a different OS. (side note, FreeBSD is a FULL OS, Linux is just a kernel with a bunch of stuff tacked on for various groups);)

Thanks for the prompt reply "Kdragon" I love to tinker and have a "compell"ing to have an upto date Plex. I have only plex installed so far, on FreeNass Ive run the upgrade for the jail in the system, however Plex still reports its got an upgrade waiting.

"You can build your own Jail and download/install there" can you point me to information on how to go about this, I was searching for infomation in the offical documentation and have not come across this information YET!

"FreeNAS is not in any way a Linux derivative. It uses FreeBSD as the base." It still reminds me of Linux especially the shell where you have Linux like commands and can select different shells.
--
Steve

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Seeing as you haven't specified what version you are running, only what the latest version is according to Plex, this may or may not be relevant. At the moment, the latest version for the Plex plugin is 1.13.8.5395, and the latest version for the PlexPass plugin is 1.13.9.5439. If you're running an earlier version, you should be able to update it using the GUI.

https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_plugins.html#updating-plugins

oOSGearOo

Dabbler
Seeing as you haven't specified what version you are running, only what the latest version is according to Plex, this may or may not be relevant. At the moment, the latest version for the Plex plugin is 1.13.8.5395, and the latest version for the PlexPass plugin is 1.13.9.5439. If you're running an earlier version, you should be able to update it using the GUI.

https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_plugins.html#updating-plugins
Yes last time I looked I had no option to upgrade from the option menu. I haven't had a chance to look at this for a few days as I ve been snowed under with work from UNI. Yes its a minor upgrade but always like to be up to date. Will have another look at the upgrade option latter today the UNI assignment has been handed in at 03:45 some near 4hr late.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It still reminds me of Linux especially the shell where you have Linux like commands and can select different shells.

Just to clarify an apparent misunderstanding, FreeBSD has direct UNIX family lineage, so it would be much more accurate to say that Linux has UNIX- or FreeBSD-like commands. Linux is the knockoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.