Plugin Settings before install

Micko

Cadet
Hi,
first of all i'd like to thank you for this beautifull product.

I'm trying to develop a custom plugin - what I don't get is if it's possible to get user input before running the install process.

Let me explain a little bit better:
now, if I install a plugin all options inside settings.json file are editable after my jail has been brought up.

What I would like to do is add some plugin related inputs (at the same level where I choose DHCP settings for example) and give those values to my post_install script

Is it possible to do something like that?
thanks
Regards
Riccardo

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Riccardo,

Right now, its only possible to provide those additional configuration inputs after the initial installation is done. The initial plugin JSON manifest only contains the relevant information necessary to download + install the plugin and run the post_install.sh script. Good feature request for us though, perhaps something we can do on SCALE with Docker/K8's at some later point.

Micko

Cadet
Hi Kris,
sorry to bother you again
So for what I understood the only way to edit plugin settings it to change them via
"iocage set -P" in freenas shell.
I found in old feature requests a post to reintroduce in the gui the ability to change them - but it has been closed.
is it on the roadmap right now? (https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/51180)

If is it ok for you I can open a new feature request - the idea is after pulling the git repo of the plugin, to parse the settings file - ask for user inputs and run the "serviceset" specified command for every parameter inserted.

As you can guess it would easily implemented if the plugin installation came from command line - however I really don't even know how to implement it in the gui :(

Thanks
Riccardo

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The plan is to eventually have this option on the GUI yes, however it'll probably be on TrueNAS SCALE initially, which uses Docker/Helm/K8's as its backend technologies vs iocage.

Micko

Cadet
Thanks Kris! I didn't get that docker was going to replace iocage!
have a nice day