plexmediastorage and SMB

bignellrp

Dabbler
Hi,

I tried to follow the tutorial video for the plex plugin.

It’s a video for 11.2 and I have 11.3 but mostly things were as described but I’m still having issues with SMB permissions.

I’ve created the plexuser and set the acl on the new dataset and added the mount point into the plex jail. The problem is when I try and view the folder in windows. It asks for the username and password but just says access denied. I can’t even read any of the data just a complete deny. I’ve checked the permissions twice on both the gui and shell and they look correct. I have other working SMB shares. I tried resetting the plexuser password but still the same.

ive read the docs and searched for similar posts but cannot find much that helps me.

it’s a new freenas install on HP Z620 3.7ghz with 128gb ram. I have 3x WD red drives in RaidZ with a single volume1 created. The boot drive is a 32gb sd card.

Happy to share any logs and happy to change any settings if I’m not following best practice.

thanks
Rik

Somewhere within the 11.2 train, world permissions changed from read and execute to none. That's probably the reason you can't view the contents of the share. The user, you're logging in on the PC as, needs to have full access to the share so that the user can add, remove and manipulate Plex media within the share. Finally, you also need to give the Plex plugin read access to your data (it's surprising the video isn't clear on this point).

If you're relying on the video, I think the easiest thing to do is to make sure plexuser has a UID of 972. This ensures the plugin has access to the added Plex media. (Why 972? Refer to this thread for more info.) Secondly, add the user logging into the PC to the plexuser group. This gives that user full access to the Plex media. Note that the user needs to exist on FreeNAS (I'm assuming you're authenticating as a local user).

Last edited:

bignellrp

Dabbler
Ok I think I’ve moved one step closer but I’m still banging my head.
I checked the files and they all somehow are 700 permissions so only that user can read them. Windows is not letting me have different users for each folder and seems to be applying one set of creds to the whole SMB \\FREENAS.

I managed to set 775 on one of the folders and that share works fine but the video folder is still 700 as the plexuser and shows as empty in windows. I tried the chmod trick on this folder but it says operation not permitted. I read that this is disabled for folders created as windows shares but it worked above.

I had a look at the plexuser itself and it’s UID 1001 and seems to be greyed out so cannot be changed.

bignellrp

Dabbler
Ok I read the post and have created a new user plex and given it 972.

I changed the acl to use that user and applied recursively and now it’s working. Thanks for your help.

mookless

Cadet
Hello, I had a similar problem. However my SMB shares were working, and I added the 972 user to my ACL and now plex has full access to my pool. Once I gave the plex user recursive permissions or whatever it stopped all my SMB shares from working. I can see my pool on all my windows 10 machines, but I can't get into any of the folders. Any help would be appreciated, I did make a user name with the same name as my PC with the same UID and group as plex.

Thanks in advanced for this FreeNAS novice,
-Mark

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
if you have a dataset you want to put into a jail you can not use a windows dataset. You have to use a unix dataset otherwise the permissions get all messed up because windows datasets don't allow chmod operations.