Plex wont update

robvandal999

Dabbler
So, I built a NAS a few years ago for the purpose of using it for Plex. I dont know much about networking, i built this following youtube videos. Thought i should preface this question with that. My knowledge outside of hardware is pretty limited but i am good at following directions and learning fast.

So, recently my family that lives out of state cant connect to my plex, it tells them to update your plex media server and next to the different categories is a yellow exclamation point. Now, everyone in my house is able to connect fine. This morning i tried several ways to update it, first by going into the shell via the browser UI, and doing this https://youtu.be/zXO0lt3rIBY , this didn't fix the issue for my family out of state. I tried clicking on the three dots next to the jail itself and going into the shell that way and typing in pkg upgrade and pkg upgrade -y . That didnt fix it. I have tried going to the plex plugin and clicking the three dots and clicking update but it just says that a snapshot is already created. I'm a little out of my depth on what is the problem, why wont it update. in freeNAS 11.2-U8 it wont even tell you what version of the plugin is running, it just says N/A the release for the plugin is 11.2-Release-p15.

Any suggestions will be very welcome. I am almost to the point of just getting a new OS and trying out another NAS OS, but I've had this one for several years and it has been solid. So im not looking at doing that.

Theres lots of reasons that update server will be displayed, you might very well have the most recent version. What is going on when you go to plex locally using a browser with the admin creds? ex. http://192.168.1.50:32400/web/ then find settings and see if "Plex is fully reachable outside your network".

Edit: I rescanned this. You are running an 11.2 version, your really going to have to likely update TN to be able to update plex. I think 11.2 is the last version that supported warden jails, hopefully you dont have warden jails.

Last edited:

robvandal999

Dabbler
Theres lots of reasons that update server will be displayed, you might very well have the most recent version. What is going on when you go to plex locally using a browser with the admin creds? ex. http://192.168.1.50:32400/web/ then find settings and see if "Plex is fully reachable outside your network".

Edit: I rescanned this. You are running an 11.2 version, your really going to have to likely update TN to be able to update plex. I think 11.2 is the last version that supported warden jails, hopefully you dont have warden jails.
Yeah, it is fully reachable outside of my network.

G8One2

Patron
You need to upgrade your jail to current release 12.2 Older versions are no longer compatible with the newer releases.

G8One2

Patron
iocage upgrade plexmediaserver -r 12.2-RELEASE or
iocage upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass -r 12.2-RELEASE

G8One2

Patron
You also may need to upgrade FreeNas to TrueNas

robvandal999

Dabbler
If I go to my jails and click the three dots all the way to the right; I clicked "stop", then "update", and then a pop up starts to do the update but then it stops and says a snapshot already exists
You also may need to upgrade FreeNas to TrueNas
Looks like the trains i have available is FreeNAS 11.2, FreeNAS 11.3, and TrueNAS 12.1 Nightlies. There is also an option to install manual update file, but I'm not sure how to do that.

G8One2

Patron
Probably have to upgrade to 11.3 before you can upgrade to TrueNas. I tend to keep my Freenas / TrueNas versions up to date for these reasons. But Im not a pro at this either. Id hate to give you bad advice.

ornias

Wizard
If I go to my jails and click the three dots all the way to the right; I clicked "stop", then "update", and then a pop up starts to do the update but then it stops and says a snapshot already exists
Those updates are NOT the same as the two commands as given by @G8One2

iocage upgrade plexmediaserver -r 12.2-RELEASE or
iocage upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass -r 12.2-RELEASE

robvandal999

Dabbler
So I was on the 11.2 train and now i've updated to 11.3. The reason i havent gone to 12.0 because it wasnt on the list for available upgrades (edit: after upgrading to 11.3, 12.0 is available to upgrade to but i keep getting an error. Don't know if thats because my only pool in the NAS is offline)...Anyways, now that 11.3 is running, it is saying my Pool is offline. How do i get it back online?

Last edited:

robvandal999

Dabbler
So, doing some googling I found the command line to bring a pool back online is: zpool online pool name device name. So, i know what the name of the pool is, I just don't know what the name of my device is. I built this Nas from old parts i had from different PC builds. I've looked at the preferences and other spots but all i could find is the host name and thats freenas, but when i type in zpool online Datacron freenas it says it cannot open Datacron: no such pool.

Am i on the right track to getting my pool online? How do i find the device name?