Plex plugin won't start; manual jail won't pkg update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGoat

Cadet
I am trying to set up a Plex media server on my newly minted freeNAS 9.10 computer. This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I didn't get my post perfectly in accordance with the forum rules.

I set my freeNAS box up at another location (my brother's house). No problems with the FreeNAS 9.10 install. I followed the manual instructions for setting up a WebDAV server, and some online instructions for setting up a Plex media server. No problems there either.

Upon returning home, however, the Plex server no longer worked (the rest appeared to still be fine; I tested the webDAV and it still synced with a client OK). Plex was still installed, but the service would not start. I deleted the plugin and reinstalled, but no luck - service still would not start (after taking several minutes to attempt it).

I searched online to see if others had the problem, and found a few threads that recommended manually configuring a jail rather than using the plugin.
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/219331/plex-suddenly-stops-working-and-cant-restart-freenas
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/205807/eli5-on-how-to-setup-plex-on-freenas-please
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...all-plex-in-a-freenas-9-3-jail-updated.19412/

However, when employing this method I get an error when trying to update or upgrade packages:
Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...                                       
Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database         
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings                   
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address record                             Unable to update repository FreeBSD

Further research in various forums suggested that DNS resolution was the problem, and to check the /etc/resolv.conf file.
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/47515/
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388747-freenas-jail-issues-continue/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ackages-in-a-jail-with-the-pkg-command.41793/

I changed my resolv.conf file to use the google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) so that my resolv.conf files look like:
Code:
search local                                                                                                                       
nameserver 8.8.8.8                                                                                                                 
nameserver 8.8.4.4 

Still no luck - continues giving the "No address record" error.

Per DrKK's response I then tried pinging the google server:
Code:
root@plex:/ # ping 8.8.8.8                                                     
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes                                         
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable 

In a regular root console (outside the jail), however, the ping works
Code:
[root@PNAS ~]# ping 8.8.8.8                                                   
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes                                         
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=26.512 ms                       
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=29.223 ms 

And I have no trouble reaching the plex package from my Windows computer (on the same network as the freeNAS computer).

Both the root and jail resolv.conf files are the same (per above).

This seems to suggest some network/jail issue, but I am at a loss on how to proceed (my my web searching and troubleshooting capabilities have been exhausted, doubly frustrating as it was working 2 days ago in the plugin...). Any help you can provide in resolving this plex install issue would be much appreciated!

Per forum recommendations, here is the result of an ifconfig in the root:
Code:
[root@PNAS ~]# ifconfig                                                                                                           
igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                         
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>                           
        ether 0c:c4:7a:6a:9d:e8                                                                                                   
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>                                                                                       
        media: Ethernet autoselect                                                                                                 
        status: no carrier                                                                                                         
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                         
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>                           
        ether 0c:c4:7a:6a:9d:e9                                                                                                   
igb2: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                 
        options=400b8<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO>                                                   
        ether 0c:c4:7a:6a:9d:ea                                                                                                   
        inet 192.168.0.190 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255                                                             
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)                                                                       
        status: active                                                                                                             
igb3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                         
        ether 0c:c4:7a:6a:9d:eb                                                                                                   
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384                                                                 
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>                                                                     
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                                                                                   
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5                                                                                 
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                                                                         
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>                                                                                 
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                     
        ether 02:b6:ee:a0:ab:00                                                                                                   
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>                                                                                                 
        id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15                                                               
        maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200                                                                   
        root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0                                                                   
        member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                                             
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 128 path cost 2000                                                                     
        member: igb2 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                                                 
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 3 priority 128 path cost 20000                                                                   
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                             
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                                                       
        ether 02:ff:60:00:07:0a                                                                                                   
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)                                                                       

and in the plex jail:
Code:
root@plex:/ # ifconfig                                                         
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1                             
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                   
        ether 02:ff:b0:00:08:0b                                               
        inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255           

----------------------
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)
Supermicro A1SAI-2750F
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz
16 GB RAM (Crucial 2-8GB DDR3L-1600 ECC SODIMM)
6 4TB HDD (2 WD Red, 4 Seagate ST4000VN000) in RAID Z-2
2 SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB (mirrored boot)

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
I am having this same issue after the update to 1.0.x within the plugin magically found a way to completely break everything on my plex service. Still registering as active within processes and on my router, but completely impossible to access through the IP or local host.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
make sure you have a gateway configured correctly for freenas and your jail.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
As @SweetAndLow says, the problem is almost certainly a missing gateway. I notice your FreeNAS applicance is on 192.168.0.x, but your jail is on 192.168.1.x. That will only work if your router's subnet mask permits you to range out of the 192.168.0.x space, which, by default, it probably will NOT. The net result would be exactly what you are experiencing.

Try giving the jail an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range.

Valdhor

Explorer
I had the exact same issue (And, I mean the exact same error message). I had been using a specific method to create my jails and one of the items was to add sysctls. I found that if I added any sysctls when setting up the jail that I got that error. I then created the jail without setting any sysctls and it worked. sysctls worked fine in 9.3 but fails in 9.10.

I don't know if my experience has anything to do with yours so YMMV.

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
As @SweetAndLow says, the problem is almost certainly a missing gateway. I notice your FreeNAS applicance is on 192.168.0.x, but your jail is on 192.168.1.x. That will only work if your router's subnet mask permits you to range out of the 192.168.0.x space, which, by default, it probably will NOT. The net result would be exactly what you are experiencing.

Try giving the jail an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range.

That wouldn't explain why the plugin magically stopped working after updating. Also, I am having the same issue.

From base:

Code:
        ether d0:50:99:c0:0d:04                                                                                                    
        inet 192.168.2.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255                                                               
igb1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                 
        ether d0:50:99:c0:0d:05                                                                                                    
        inet 192.168.0.103 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255                                                              
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3                                                                                 
        ether 02:bf:af:f9:2f:00                                                                                                    
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000                                                                     
        member: igb1 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                                                 
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 2 priority 128 path cost 20000                                                                    
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                              
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                                                        
        ether 02:ff:60:00:05:0a                                                                                                    

From plex:

Code:
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # ifconfig                                                                                                
epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                      
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                                                        
        ether 02:ff:b0:00:06:0b                                                                                                    
        inet 192.168.0.102 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255                                                              

Note, I have two active igb variants, one goes directly to my main pc and the other to my network. This has never caused issues before (and the 192.168.0.x is the network).

The gateway could be a problem but my magic fix was to rename the config file to something with a .old extension and then restart plex and let it reset things. Some setting or another somewhere may not be working correctly and is causing a problem. I originally had mine setup to use a port manually as the GUI would not stay locked on for some reason.

Once I reset the config and got signed in everything worked perfectly. Made a few config changes via the GUI and was off and running with zero issues. I believe that the file is preferences.xml and the location will depend on if you are using the plugin, PMS pkg, PMS-PlexPass pkg, or their freebsd update script version.

DrGoat

Cadet
Thanks DrKK!
Changing the IP of the jail did the trick and I was able to complete the manual installation in the command line.
Why the plugin didn't work properly is still a mystery, but not one I am terribly interested in solving (if I heard correctly, plugins a being redone in the next freeNAS version).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks DrKK!
Changing the IP of the jail did the trick and I was able to complete the manual installation in the command line.
Why the plugin didn't work properly is still a mystery, but not one I am terribly interested in solving (if I heard correctly, plugins a being redone in the next freeNAS version).
So, you're saying the problem was the IP address assigned to the jail?

DrGoat

Cadet
So, you're saying the problem was the IP address assigned to the jail?
Yes indeed; I changed the jail IP to 192.168.0.101 per your comment, then restarted the jail, then went into the console to update the packages. No problems, and I was streaming media later that night. Thanks again!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yes indeed; I changed the jail IP to 192.168.0.101 per your comment, then restarted the jail, then went into the console to update the packages. No problems, and I was streaming media later that night. Thanks again!
OK, but just for completeness, how was it that the jail was assigned an IP address out of the range of the LAN? Perhaps there are defaults in the jail configuration that assume the LAN is on 192.168.1.X, which it is for 85% of people...just not you. If that's the case, you ought to change that for future reference in your FreeNAS. Yeah there it is, in JAILS->CONFIGURATION. Looks like "IPv4 Network" defaults to "192.168.1.0/24", and yours ought to be "192.168.0.0/24", with appropriate changes in the start/end address fields as well right below that.

LudoKressh

Cadet
I also have a similar error, I have done the things people suggested using the gateway, but that doesnt seem to make any difference.

I know that the jail and freenas are both on the same network 192.168.1, so that fix wont work. I can also ping google from within the jail like DrGoat, any idea what I can do? I can post the ifconfig if that is needed, in fact its below. Please help.

Sorry about the freenas ifconfig, I have a 4 port card in for experiments.

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# ifconfig
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSU                                                                             M,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether a0:36:9f:a1:16:7a
igb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSU                                                                             M,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether a0:36:9f:a1:16:7b
igb2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether a0:36:9f:a1:16:7c
igb3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether a0:36:9f:a1:16:7d
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLA                                                                             N_HWTSO>
        ether ac:9e:17:f6:ea:f9
igb4: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 15                                                                             00
        ether ac:9e:17:f6:ea:fa
        inet 192.168.1.69 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
        ether 02:a5:9c:d3:66:00
        member: epair9a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 24 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair8a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 22 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair7a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 20 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair6a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 19 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair5a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 17 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair4a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 15 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair3a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 13 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair2a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 11 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: epair1a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 10 priority 128 path cost 2000
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 9 priority 128 path cost 2000
        member: igb4 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 20000
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:09:0a
epair1a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:0a:0a
epair2a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:0b:0a
epair2b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:0c:0b
epair3a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:0d:0a
epair3b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:0e:0b
epair4a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:0f:0a
epair4b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:10:0b
epair5a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:11:0a
epair5b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:12:0b
epair6a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:13:0a
epair7a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:14:0a
epair7b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:15:0b
epair8a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:16:0a
epair8b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:70:00:17:0b
epair9a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu                                                                              1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:20:00:18:0a

Code:
root@plexn:/ # ifconfig                                                       
epair9b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                   
        ether 02:ff:70:00:19:0b                                               
        inet 192.168.1.43 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 192.168.1.43           

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I also have a similar error, I have done the things people suggested using the gateway, but that doesnt seem to make any difference.
You're going to have to do better than that. What's the exact error that you're running into, and other contextual details, sir?

LudoKressh

Cadet
You're going to have to do better than that. What's the exact error that you're running into, and other contextual details, sir?

Im sorry I can into all the detail needed. I get the exact same error as DrGoat.

But I have now solved my problem and figured out what was causing it. In-case anyone else reads this thread Ill quickly explain.

Turns out even though I deleted the dataset that my jails were saved on, removed the volume, and deleted the jails in the GUI. They are still registered in the OS in the original path. So when I re-did my storage recently and started freshly with the jails, the old ones were still there and when I tried to do anything with the jails I assume it was still trying to use the old ones.

So I simply reinstalled the whole OS and started again and its solved. Would probably be easier to simple remove those jails in the shell but the time it would take to find out how to do that would be longer than just starting again for me.

Sorry about a lack of information before but writing out a more detailed description to you helped me figure out what was wrong and solve it, so thank you for that.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Turns out even though I deleted the dataset that my jails were saved on, removed the volume, and deleted the jails in the GUI. They are still registered in the OS in the original path. So when I re-did my storage recently and started freshly with the jails, the old ones were still there and when I tried to do anything with the jails I assume it was still trying to use the old ones.
You could have simply gone to JAILS->CONFIGURATION and changed the "jail root" to the new directory sir. No need to reinstall the OS.

LudoKressh

Cadet
You could have simply gone to JAILS->CONFIGURATION and changed the "jail root" to the new directory sir. No need to reinstall the OS.

That was actually the first thing that I did, but it seemed to always go back and try to find the original jails, I removed them in the jails GUI but they still were present in the shell.

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
That was actually the first thing that I did, but it seemed to always go back and try to find the original jails, I removed them in the jails GUI but they still were present in the shell.

It looks like the "official" plugin is just blatantly broken. I was able to properly install the plex server from scratch using the following post (more helpful than anything else I found in it's straightforward-ness)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
installing plex (and many of the other programs Plex users seem to gravitate towards) in generic jails is an extremely straightforward approach, as it utilizes the "canon" way of installing/maintaining/updating programs (there are two ways to this approach, using the 'ports' set of commands or the 'pkg' set of commands. I will be giving you instructions on using the 'pkg' commands, and I think it will be easier to understand. Once you feel comfortable, feel free to switch to 'ports' to see which method you like better.)

@co1dnight: if it's not too late, ditch the plugin for plex and:
1) manually create a generic jail (jails tab in the top bar, then the add jail button), named PlexPass-Server (or whatever you want, really)
2) create/link storage for that jail (still in the jails tab, switch to the storage tab, then the add storage button). Make sure you select your recently created Plex jail, and then add your datasets as source (so, for example, I have separate datasets for each of my media types, 1 for TV Shows, 1 for Movies, 1 for Music, etc). The destination will be the place within the Plex jail that Plex will "look" for files (although in reality, you just made a link to the dataset which is outside the jail). Sooo, for example, one of my sources is /mnt/pool/movies and my destination is /media/movies
3) once you've linked all your storages, go back to the main jails tab and select your Plex jail, then enter the console (you should also learn how to ssh into your jails from a different computer, it will make future updates much quicker, plus if you ssh'ed into your jail, you could copy-paste all of the commands below)
4) type pkg upgrade (this will update your "install tools" to the most recent version (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)
5) type pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)
6) once that's done, type service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
7) then sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES
8) type service -R
9) type exit
10) in a browser, navigate to your plex jail's assigned IP:32400\web
11) click on the settings icon top right, and log in to your plex pass account (you can do some general setup stuff now too if you want)
12) back on the main screen, start adding libraries (when adding the media folder, remember that plex is looking for the destination folder you set in step 2, so generally, you'll want to click on the "/" (root) slash on the left, in order to quickly navigate to wherever you set that destination folder.
13) repeat as necessary!

Hope that helps. If you set it up this way, you'll be able to update to the newest version of Plex within a day or two of it being released following these simple steps:

1) ssh into your Plex jail (or click the console button in the FreeNAS GUI after selecting the plex jail into the jails tab)
2) type pkg update (following along and typing y when neceesary)
3) type pkg upgrade (again typing y when necessary)
4) type service -R, then exit, and you'll always be up to date!!!

(you can also write a script and have this run as a cron job)

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used literally all the exact same IP/config settings as I did before, so that wasn't an issue. I did have a little bit of a snag where on step 5 above, I had to do step 7 then step 6 then step 8 because step 6 wouldn't work until step 7 was completed. Which led me to believe that step 6 wasn't really needed anymore, but I did it anyways.

ANYWHO it is now running again... Hopefully I never have to deal with this issue again, since I previously didn't move my metadata before erasing the plugin the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.