Plex hardware transcoding with AMD Ryzen 5700G

chri5

Explorer
I recently tested plex hardware transcoding with an AMD Ryzen 5700G on TrueNAS Scale.
I'm using the official Plex app which detected the AMD GPU in the resource reservation.
plex-gpu-1.png

When I was viewing a film on my phone and forcing it to transcode so it wasn't just delivering the file as is. It showed it was using hardware transcoding, see (hw) in brackets on the screenshot below.
plex-gpu-hw-transcode.png

I found 3 concurrent streams is fine.
Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of using an AMD CPU with on board graphics for Plex.

strauss2

Cadet
Nice! Just curious how were you were able to use the iGPU without another gpu in the system for the host OS?

chri5

Explorer
Nice! Just curious how were you were able to use the iGPU without another gpu in the system for the host OS?
I am not sure and this was why I never tried it. I was just back from a fresh re-install so thought I would try it. I had the option to allocate 1 GPU (see first screenshot), there is no other GPU in my setup, only the on board GPU in the CPU.
I thought maybe it would just error and say I can't do it but the plex app let me save the changes and didn't complain.

Up until this my plex server had been using software transcoding which is heavy on the CPU.

I'll add to this thread if I get any errors further down the road.

kev1n

Cadet
Thanks for sharing this. I also have the AMD 5700G and just noticed this "Allocate 1" available except I have the truecharts Plex app. Under GPU Configuration, I added the "Allocate 1 amd.com/gpu GPU", set "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the plex settings, and I now have (hw) hardware transcoding as well.

Truenoob7

Cadet
I had a 4600G before. This could be allocated to apps and Plex detects it under the "Transcoding" options where you can select the GPU, however it still transcodes with the CPU.

So after reading this thread, I thought I'd upgrade to a 5600G. Unfortunately it cannot be allocated to applications. It's as though TrueNAS doesn't acknowledge its existence, despite saying "AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics" on the dashboard.

So, so, I guess I might buy a 5700G. Maybe not though, since transcoding isn't a requirement for me in Plex. It's nice to have on occasion.

chri5

Explorer
So after reading this thread, I thought I'd upgrade to a 5600G. Unfortunately it cannot be allocated to applications. It's as though TrueNAS doesn't acknowledge its existence, despite saying "AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics" on the dashboard.
Before giving up on the 5600G have you done a fresh reinstall of TrueNAS with the 5600G installed? I've had TrueNAS not properly acknowledge hardware changes in the past without fully reinstalling.

Last edited:

chri5

Explorer
PS remember to go to settings>transcoder in plex to set use hardware acceleration if available after you have allocated the gpu in the plex app resource reservation in TrueNAS.
plex-transcode.png

Last edited:

Truenoob7

Cadet
Just did a fresh install (used a backed-up config though). Unfortunately no change and the 5600G still has no GPU that can be assigned to apps.

With the 4600G, the GPU could be selected in Plex after assigning it to the app, however Plex simply wouldn't use it.

chri5

Explorer
Could be a BIOS setting. I set the graphics memory usage in BIOS to auto, also enabled Virtualization in BIOS, I think that's all I changed for the 5700G. I'm using a X570 motherboard.

Ja55ie

Cadet
I recently tested plex hardware transcoding with an AMD Ryzen 5700G on TrueNAS Scale.
I'm using the official Plex app which detected the AMD GPU in the resource reservation.
View attachment 69451

When I was viewing a film on my phone and forcing it to transcode so it wasn't just delivering the file as is. It showed it was using hardware transcoding, see (hw) in brackets on the screenshot below.
View attachment 69452
I found 3 concurrent streams is fine.
Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of using an AMD CPU with on board graphics for Plex.
This is super useful. Have you tried at all transcoding a 4k hdr stream to 1080p?

Truenoob7

Cadet
Alright, I have words and results to share. I got my 5600G and 5700G to work. I updated the motherboard BIOS and had to fiddle with my docker pool (2x500gb SSD) in order to add the newer GPU to the Plex App. It would NOT work with my previous pool created with the 4600G. Don't ask me why, I just know that's what I had to do before I could add it with a 5000 series processor. This is a new lab build, so no harm no foul. No changes were necessary swapping between the 5700G and 5600G.

THESE TESTS ARE NOT SCIENTIFIC, do NOT treat them as hard evidence of ANYTHING. Take them with a grain of salt.
However: these results are okay enough for my book given the time and resources allotted. In short, I'm just a guy that had time and some processors on hand. I didn't intend to do this testing, but here I am writing this at 1:30 am.
YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY.

The screenshots bounced around +/- 2% on Plex and +/- 8% ish on CPU usage. I grabbed them when they appeared consistent, so neither best nor worst transcoding speed or CPU usage.

System Specs:
  • AMD 5600G with Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 (SEALED CASE)
  • AMD 5700G with Noctua NH-L9a AM4 (OPEN CASE)
  • 64GB RAM
  • 5x14TB RAIDz2 + Mirrored Intel Optane Metadata vDev (Data / Transcoding Pool)
  • 2x500GB Mirrored SSD Pool (Docker+ Config Pool)
Results:
  1. First place is 5700G with hardware disabled
  2. Second place was the 5600G with hardware disabled
  3. Third was 5700G, hardware = Cezanne
  4. Fourth was 5600G, hardware = Cezanne
  5. Fifth was the 4600G, not shown, not tested. GPU DNF.
I tested by optimizing files for TV (output files are 1080p, 8Mbps)
1080p SDR source file (MKV | 1920x1080 | H.264 | 23,000 kbps | 18ish GB)
4K HDR source file (MKV | 3840x2160 | HEVC | 57,000 kbps | 79ish GB)

It appears that there is a performance cap of about 10-11x speed on transcoding in the software. The CPU was never pegged at 100% usage in any test, but had the thermal and CPU headroom to do more

It also appears that the CPU is put in charge of tone-mapping metadata. Whenever Hardware Transcoding is enabled with tone-mapping the CPU was put to work but never as hard as CPU transcoding.

The Cezanne GPU within these processors is also slower to transcode than using the CPU, in fact the 5600G CPU was 1.75x faster than the GPU, and 5700G was 1.6x faster than its GPU. That said, based on temperatures, hardware is likely more energy efficient given the CPU core heat (again, totally unscientific).

Different situations require different configurations. If you're in need of CPU cycles for other apps, then having the hardware is nice. It's doubtful however that in a home scenario you'll find yourself pegging these powerful CPUs very high.

Results.jpg

Last edited:

2dfx

Cadet
No dice still here for me. Ryzen 5 Pro 2400G, 'use hardware transcode' is checked, "Raven Ridge" is selected as the GPU so Plex sees it, but no transcoding is actually taking place.

chri5

Explorer
Strangely I am unable to reproduce what I originally did in this thread. The Hardware in brackets (hw) is no longer showing when I follow what I did. Not sure if a plex update has stopped it.

Saberwolf

Explorer
take a look at you plex logs and see what it is complaining about
1705093165939.png

you can also clear the logs just before you start a transcode session to help filter out things