Plex and Limiting closed port RST response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krutet

Dabbler
Hello fellow Plex on Freenas users!

I've set up Plex media server 0.9.8.6.175_p1 on my freenas 9.1.1 system and it is working great except for one thing.
My little problem is that when a friend of mine, with whom I've shared my server, watches movies from outside my network with the use of Plex/web (he has not tried the apps) I get a this in my freenas (checking through the freenas webui) log file: freenas kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 682 (different figures from time to time) to 200 packets/sec.

This is not a big problem because it doesn't hinder him from watching the files but we think that this is related to the lag/stuttering that he is experiencing from time to time while watching.

Anyone know whats causing this and has any idea to stop this? My network is behind a Asus RT-N66U router with activated firewall.

TL;DR: I get this message in my freenas log while my friend is watching files with the plex/web from outside my network: freenas kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 682 (different figures from time to time) to 200 packets/sec. Could this be cause of the stutter/lag that he is experiencing? And what can I do about it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should ask the Plex forum guys. They're more likely to have the answer.

D

dlavigne

Googling "Limiting closed port RST response" shows some good explanations on the type of attack this is preventing, which sysctl value controls it, and why changing the default value isn't recommended. The real questions is if plex is indeed the cause of the traffic (probably not, unless some bug is making it do weird things). Depending upon your provider, it may be letting in all types of crap which the router doesn't know how to deal with, so the FreeBSD kernel is actually seeing and dealing with it. Running a packet sniffer on the local network should help to locate the cause of the problematic traffic.

Krutet

Dabbler
Googling "Limiting closed port RST response" shows some good explanations on the type of attack this is preventing, which sysctl value controls it, and why changing the default value isn't recommended. The real questions is if plex is indeed the cause of the traffic (probably not, unless some bug is making it do weird things). Depending upon your provider, it may be letting in all types of crap which the router doesn't know how to deal with, so the FreeBSD kernel is actually seeing and dealing with it. Running a packet sniffer on the local network should help to locate the cause of the problematic traffic.

I am positive that the limited closed port response messages are related to plex in one way or another because we have tested it and it only comes up when he watches files. But he maybe got some other weird stuff going on on his computer. I will try to get some other computer to test the same thing.

George51

Contributor
I am positive that the limited closed port response messages are related to plex in one way or another because we have tested it and it only comes up when he watches files. But he maybe got some other weird stuff going on on his computer. I will try to get some other computer to test the same thing.

Sorry to revive an old thread - and I apologise if I've missed the answer elsewhere. Was this ever resolved? This is what I get.. security outputs full of limiting closed RST... Only started once I started using plex.

brumnas

Dabbler
I've stumbled across this thread and I can confirm it relates to Plex. I've setup VPN in a jail and have no other ports open. My mom uses the VPN to watch my Plex - and these log entries are generated sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.