please recommend a switch [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmate

Contributor
Hi guys,

while the server's coming together just fine I could now focus to other issues. My old RT-N16 will be retiring soon and another dd-wrt asus coming along. As I have phones, printers, etc - and soon a freenas!! with dual port gigabit - connected to the network I need an 8port switch.

I would like one which is capable of handling the trafic from the freenas, reliable, looks OK in a home environment (preferably LED on the same side as the ports) and I don't have to rob the bank to get it...

Also - just to show how noob I am for server stuff - another related question: should the IPMI port be connected to a switch if I want to monitor the server from my ThinkPad?

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Also - just to show how noob I am for server stuff - another related question: should the IPMI port be connected to a switch if I want to monitor the server from my ThinkPad?

Thanks

How else would you get to the IPMI?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Netgear GS108T v2 runs around $70 and does everything a home user would be likely to need, except PoE.

yourmate

Contributor
I have told you haven't I? ;)

The Netgear GS108T v2 runs around $70 and does everything a home user would be likely to need, except PoE.
Seems OK and available in the UK.
Specs reads: This Netgear GS108T switch supports the IEEE 802.3af standard for Power over Ethernet (PoE), allowing it to obtain its power from either a PoE source or from an external AC power adapter.
What would I use PoE for? I mean relating to FreeNAS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No. That means that the GS108T can be powered by PoE, which is nice for me, where I've got some big switches that deliver PoE, and it means I can hook up a GS108T without needing a power adapter.

What the GS108T doesn't do for you is to supply PoE. That means you cannot run an IP phone, IP camera, wifi access point, or other PoE-enabled accessory from the switch, without first figuring out a different way to power it (such as a power brick or an injector).

yourmate

Contributor
No. That means that the GS108T can be powered by PoE, which is nice for me, where I've got some big switches that deliver PoE, and it means I can hook up a GS108T without needing a power adapter.

What the GS108T doesn't do for you is to supply PoE. That means you cannot run an IP phone, IP camera, wifi access point, or other PoE-enabled accessory from the switch, without first figuring out a different way to power it (such as a power brick or an injector).

I stand corrected, have not read the whole sentence properly. Scan sells them in the UK around the same price.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Don't get me wrong, that's not a major strike against it. The nice thing is that it has features such as vlans and link aggregation that aren't usually found on cheap switches, though the web management of the unit is kinda funky (not that friendly).

yourmate

Contributor
This will do fine. My CCTV - although PoE - is powered by the unit and the voip/dect phones are powered from the mains so it's OK. I've thought there is something on the FreeNAS which needs to be powered by PoE. Already found two cheap used ones so I just make my pick :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

yourmate

Contributor

And to put this to bed properly: so from the server
a) 3 ethernet cables go to the switch and I can monitor the server from a laptop on the same LAN connected wirelessly OR
b) 2 patch cables go to the router and one goes to the laptop because version a) is not doable

I hope it's version a) :confused:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
And to put this to bed properly: so from the server
a) 3 ethernet cables go to the switch and I can monitor the server from a laptop on the same LAN connected wirelessly OR
b) 2 patch cables go to the router and one goes to the laptop because version a) is not doable

I hope it's version a) :confused:

IPMI is another address on your LAN. There is no reason to have to hook it up directly to a computer for standard usage. Think of it as another server in your server. You just plug it into the network and you can access it from anywhere on the LAN.

Let me ask you why you are hooking up 3 cables though. Unless you understand the use case and the limitations of LACP/LAGG, you would only need the IPMI and one NIC plugged in.

yourmate

Contributor
Unless you understand the use case and the limitations of LACP/LAGG, you would only need the IPMI and one NIC plugged in.
Thanks. I've thought link aggregation is a good thing...

Mr_N

Patron
HP Procurve 1400-8G has worked for me

danb35

Hall of Famer

yourmate

Contributor

yourmate

Contributor
Netgear GS108T v2 bought for £22

Valdhor

Explorer
I use the HP ProCurve Switch 6108. It's a great Gigabit managed switch which can be had for less that $40 on FleaBay (The last one I bought was $34.50 shipped).

yourmate

Contributor
I use the HP ProCurve Switch 6108. It's a great Gigabit managed switch which can be had for less that $40

Thanks for the suggestion although it fails on one of my criteria ;)

I would like one which is capable of handling the trafic from the freenas, reliable, looks OK in a home environment (preferably LED on the same side as the ports) and I don't have to rob the bank to get it...

Valdhor

Explorer
Well, i never :smile: I think it looks really good but the eye of the beholder i guess.

To tell you the truth I used to have an 8 port Asus unmanaged el cheapo Gigabit switch. I had a few niggly problems with my network but nothing to make me troubleshoot anything. When I replaced the Asus with the 6108 all those problems disappeared. I even noticed my WIFI to my iPad was appreciably faster. Who knew?

yourmate

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.