PKG UPDATE in Standard Jail Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
After my owncloud woes last week, thought I'd have a go at building from scratch using DrKK's post and video. As you might guess from the title, I've fallen at the 1st hurdle, as I can't update the package repository.

I did have a quick google and found a few potential workarounds, but they also suggested an upgrade from 9.2 > 9.3 would fix this, so I've just taken the leap and upgraded from 9.2.1.8 to 9.3, which appears to have gone through problem free.

Still get this error though when running PKG UPDATE in a newly created standard jail

root@owncloud:/ # pkg update
Updating repository catalogue
pkg: pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/digests.txz: Invalid URL
scheme
pkg: No digest falling back on legacy catalog format
pkg: pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/repo.txz: Invalid URL sc
heme

Help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a thread on this topic already. I don't have a link, but if you search the forums with that error I'm sure you will find it.

adrianwi

Guru
Not sure what the problem was with my old jail configuration in 9.2.1.8, but I deleted it and recreated a jail in 9.3 and have followed Joshua's owncloud guide without any of the issues I'd been encountering in the old ones :D

I can't believe the difference in speed syncing using mysql instead of sqlite. Night and day, and I can't believe sqlite is the default for owncloud.

Just need to follow your SSL instructions before accessing remotely ;)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@AdrianWilliamson : How many files are in your owncloud sync? Almost no reasonable person will notice a difference between mysql and sqlite, for their owncloud, so i wonder if you have something else going on.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also @AdrianWilliamson :

Check your file (in the jail) at /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

It should say this:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url  : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  enabled  : yes,
  mirror_type  : "SRV",
  signature_type  : "FINGERPRINTS",
  fingerprints  : "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
  }

Make sure it does. Then run pkg2ng. Then run pkg upgrade.

adrianwi

Guru
It could be the client sync app, but it was always very slow on 2 different pbi versions of owncloud I've configured, both using sqlite.

I've only got 2 users - one has about 70GB of data and one has about 17GB. The 17GB synced in about 45 minutes, where previously it would have taken several hours. The first sync for the other user took a number of days, where it's about 25% complete after less than 2 hours!

I did have a look at your guide and video (which is fantastic for noobs like me!) but I was put off by the sqlite option you'd used.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, the thing is, the majority of your time sync'ing will be the network transfer of the files. The database, really, has little to do with this.

And 70 and 17GB is a pitiful pittance of data. You're not taxing sqlite with that. As far as I know. UNless it's like a million, super small, files.

I think the problem lies elsewhere. Perhaps a misconfiguration of the web server.

But I'm not for sure on it.

If you'd like to perform an experiment, can you go ahead and install the owncloud the way shown in my video in a second, extra, jail that you create just for this experiment? Then you can just remove the jail when you're done and have reported on the results.

adrianwi

Guru
I've got about 3 owncloud jails at the minute :) but once I get this one setup as I want, and have removed the others I'll have a go at following your video and use sqlite.

Most of the advice I'd received on the owncloud forum suggested my problems would be resolved my using mysql, and so far I'm tending to agree!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well the owncloud forum guys definitely know more than I do. So thank you for bringing the information back to me.

I actually don't know, to be truthful, where the cutoff is between sqlite being OK, then suddenly not, and you have to go to mysql. I thought it'd be far more than a couple dozen gigs, though.

As a guy likely to be asked a lot about owncloud issues in the FreeNAS community, I'd definitely be interested in whatever information you can teach me/bring back from their forum, and/or your own experimentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.