pkg missing py27-certbot

Janus Ng

Explorer
I have opened my nextcloud server install on FreeNAS to WAN with a mapped DNS and I have got server cert from Let's Encrypt for it. I have kept the cert updated by a certbot run by a Cron job in the jail. It was fine on FreeNAS 11.1-U6.

After migrated a new plugin of nextcloud based on iocage of FreeNAS 11.2, I would like to keep the server cert updated by a certbot in the jail as it used to be.

To my surprise, following the steps of FreeBSD and NginX instructions listed on https://certbot.eff.org/. I ran the following command in the iocage console:
Code:
pkg install py27-certbot

It cannot find any package for it.

Is it an overlook of the developer? Or the developers are taking it away for https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/36403?

It could be nice to have a WebUI for managing server cert in FreeNAS but it should not be the only option. :(

Are there ways to get around it? My server is certainly expired before FreeNAS 11.3 is released.

D

dlavigne

This is a current limitation of iocage plugin jails. For now, if you plan to manually update within a jail, it is best to create a jail for this purpose then install the pkgs you want.

Janus Ng

Explorer
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am a bit confused though.

Do you mean the package py27-certbot is available on manual created iocage jails but not a plug-in jail?

I cannot find the package on the base FreeNAS repository either.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can't speak to the issue with the repos, but there are tons of alternative clients. I like acme.sh for most purposes--certbot has tons of dependencies that make it, IMO, a poor choice for many applications.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do you mean the package py27-certbot is available on manual created iocage jails but not a plug-in jail?
Correct.
I cannot find the package on the base FreeNAS repository either.
That's by design. The base FreeNAS system is not meant to have packages installed on it.

Janus Ng

Explorer
Thanks danb35 and Jailer for the pointer.

acme.sh seems to be a nice alternative!

It has been a while since this thread is posted, but I want to point out that a "plug-in jail" can install packages through pkg.
A thread posted by rustyrangejoe pointed out that the pkg installation block can be disable by editing
ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf and adjust line FreeBSD: { enabled: no } to FreeBSD: { enabled: yes }
FYI: sorry for any formatting or other mistakes, this is my first reply here.

Janus Ng

Explorer
Good to hear that!

It would be great if a plugin with certbot combined with Nextcloud.