Permissions out of whack after upgrading to TrueNAS from FreeNAS11.3

Fythic

Cadet
Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded to trueNAS 12.0-U3.1, and for the most part, the transition has been smooth, except I've been having multiple problems with ACLs across my entire main pool. Previously, I accessed most of my files via Samba Share on Windows 10 using the root user, but I noticed that that is forbidden now on TrueNAS. I tried to migrate the owner of all datasets to a user that I created away from root and towards the new user (yes... including iocage), which was... rocky for iocage so I gave up on that. I ended up moving it all back to root, and instead pursued a different route of adding my user to the default root group (wheel, which is also applied as the owning group for all documents), which for some reason doesn't really do anything... That user cannot access anything. So I guess that's one of my main problems -- I cannot access any of my documents via samba share unless I explicitly give that user full control manually for each sub-folder and directory. Is there a reason why adding to the group doesn't work?

Also, after upgrading (and probably a direct consequence of my tomfoolery with the permissions), I now cannot start/stop any of my jails created before the upgrade -- telling me permission is denied and I have to use a --force command to do it (even when I am logged in as the root user). What's up with this?