Permissions different from terminal login compared to desktop login?

maxwatts

Cadet
Login to truenas share from ubuntu desktop works fine, but login from terminal with same credentials does not.

e.g.

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=blah,password=rubbishpassword,gid=1001,uid=1001 //truenas.local/exampleshare /home/user/TN

Cannot then write to /home/user/TN without using sudo. The permissions on the linux box for the directory TN change to root:root

However, if I use the desktop environment and connect to //truenas.local/exampleshare via the file manager, all is well. I can then create and delete files and folders AS the same user. The permissions (from a terminal) show blah:blah

What is the difference between the two, and what am I missing? I need to attach to the truenas server from other linux boxes that do not have a desktop environment.

Max

Your Ubuntu user is UID 1001? Are you sure? In the mount parameters, you need to use the UID/GID of the client's local user, not the user's UID in TrueNAS.

Otherwise, you can try including the parameters forceuid and forcegid in your mount command.

maxwatts

Cadet
Your Ubuntu user is UID 1001? Are you sure? In the mount parameters, you need to use the UID/GID of the client's local user, not the user's UID in TrueNAS.

Otherwise, you can try including the parameters forceuid and forcegid in your mount command.

I wasn't seeing the wood for the trees. Your observation skills are ninja like! Thank you !