Performance tips for ProLiant MicroServer Gen8? 11MB/sec rsync

hendry

Explorer
I've updated to TrueNAS stable 12 and my rsync script only gets 11MB/sec[1]. Is that to be expected?

Code:
rsync -vaihhHSP --exclude "Transcoded Media" --exclude=".*" --exclude "*Render Files*" --exclude "*Analysis Files*" --omit-dir-times mysrctree/ freenas:/mnt/red/redsamba

[1] https://twitter.com/kaihendry/status/1333035857125675008/photo/1

Furthermore I get this odd /.": Operation not permitted (1) ... error, despite the fact I'm able to write to /mnt/red/redsamba

Code:
[hendry@t14s ~]$ cd /tmp
[hendry@t14s tmp]$ touch testing123
[hendry@t14s tmp]$ rsync testing123 192.168.1.2:/mnt/red/redsamba/
[hendry@t14s tmp]$ echo $?
[hendry@t14s tmp]$ ssh 192.168.1.2 "ls /mnt/red/redsamba/test*"
/mnt/red/redsamba/testing123

If I was to upgrade to a TrueNAS® Mini... how would I know what performance I could expect?

11MBs is about what you would get over antiquated Fast Ethernet. Is everything in your network gigabit rated?

hendry

Explorer
Thank you John. Indeed my network seemed to have negotiated down to 100mbit. Fiddling with the cables made it back to Gigabit and now I'm getting peak 90MB/s. Yay!

Still I have the rsync "Operation not permitted" issue. Perhaps I'll file a seperate issue about that?

I suspect that operation is not permitted is permission related. My company uses some T14s what OS are you running? Do you have matching users on both systems (hendry)? Make a matching user and make him a member of the main groups you use on both systems. See who owns the "copied" data. Use this UID if it is in fact owned by a number like I might suspect it will be (most likely 1000 or 1001).

From the T14s CLI can you mount the rsync destination location? If this errors with permission look into the TN NFS share settings more closely.

mkdir /mnt/redsamba && mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2:/mnt/red/redsamba/ /mnt/redsamba/ ---> you might have to use sudo if running a Linux machine or su root before issue.