Performance of 288 TB Storage Server for Video Editing on Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina (Benchmarking, Practices, Approaches)

neuzeit

Cadet
Dear Community,

the idea of this thread is to openly document specific needs for large sequential file transfers and the requirements of video editing via 10 Gbit.
So I will talk a little bit about my project, what I have done so far, what I have done to benchmark it and what my goal would are. I will keep the thread updated.
I have found that there isn't so much information how-to build a Storage Server for video editing with FreeNAS. So I want to give back everything I have found out so gar, even my mistakes and maybe get some input from the community.

So: Ten months ago I purchased a new Storage Server.
The main purpose of the server would be Video Editing. Two to three clients working in parallel and accessing video files via 10 Gbit. Usually around 150 to 250 MB/s are required for editing. We are handling Red 8K and 6K files. Also when transferring footage or just copying stuff it would be nice to saturate 10GBit.

The server is using silent fans in a standard 24-Bay enclosure with the following components:

- 24 *12 TB Exos hard drives,
- 1 * Broadcom 9305-24I HBA,
- 1 * 280GB Intel Optane 900P for ZIL,
- 1 * Samsung NVME 970 Pro SSD with 2 TB for L2ARC,
- 128 GB of DDR4-2666 regECC DIMM
- 1* Xeon-D 12 core motherboard (MBD-X11SDV-12C-TP8F-O) including a Quad Intel X550 10 Gbit adaptor

The latest FreeNAS software is running on it (currently 11.3-U1).
For networking I use Cat 7 cables and a
Netgear XS716T 16-Port 10G Ethernet LAN Switch Smart Managed Pro.
Clients include an iMac Pro, a Mac Pro with twelve cores and a Intel X540, a Hackintosh with X520 and a Windows client with X540.
All Macs are running the latest Catalina, 10.15.3.

I have set up three RAIDZ2 consisting of 8 drives á 12 TB in one pool. That‘s because I have read it shouldn't be more then 8 disks per VDEV as it could take ages to replace a faulty drive.
The Samsung 970 Pro and the Optane 900P also have their own pool for benchmark reasons. Later the plans for them is to become the ZIL and L2ARC.
I am not sure if I got the concept of ZIL SLOG and L2ARC correctly as it confuses me that asynchronous reads and writes occur on different levels - ZFS pool level and on the OS level.

MikeyG

Patron
Looks like a pretty nice setup. I'm curious to see what kind of sequential transfer rates you get out of that pool. I don't think you will need the optane drive though - a SLOG is usually for sync writes with iSCSI based VMs (or NFS). I assume the clients will be accessing via SMB?