Performance Expectation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroji

Contributor
Hello. I am looking to possibly set up a FreeNAS server. I currently have 2 ESXi servers for my home lab both of which has LSI MegaRAID in them. Each host server has a set of 4x4TB of WD Red and HGST 7200RPM drives in them. I am trying to decide if it's worthwhile to pull all those drives out and make a single FreeNAS server out of them for 32TB of array space. Since the guest OS are running off SSD datastores on each ESXi server, the NAS would be providing tier 2 storage space. However, with my current configuration, I am getting approximately 450MB R/W performance in RAID5 for each ESXi server inside the guest environment. If I am going to go ahead with the build, I would most likely pick the follow components.

ASRock C2750D4I
32GB of DDR3 ECC
4x4TB WD Red + 4x4TB HGST 7200RPM
Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port NIC
UNAS 8 Bay Enclosure
Generic Pico PSU

I understand since this will be on a gigabit network that it will be limited to 100MB/s transfer speed. I will be doing LACP however. The ESXi server would connect to the FreeNAS storage pool via iSCSI, also via a quad port LACP bound NIC. My question is, how much concurrent throughput will the hardware configuration above allow me to get out of the FreeNAS server realistically?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are totally gonna burn out all of your parts if you think a Pico PSU is acceptable for that.

eroji

Contributor
May not be the right PSU there as I just glanced at what the case seemed to take. It will be whatever that is required of the build.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
As long as the HBA and onboard are compatible, No.

In other words, if your board controller is compatible with FreeNAS and you have available ports, you do not need a HBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.