PCI serial port card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropoutjeep

Cadet
Having some trouble trying to get a PCI serial port card working with FreeNAS. It appears to work well on a FreeBSD 11 system with the uart(4) driver recognizing the ports right after the puc(4) driver attaches to the card on boot. /dev/cuau[23]* and /dev/ttyu[23]* are available for use and work well.

FreeNAS doesn't recognize the card until I put a copy of the puc(4) kernel module from a FreeBSD system in place, a technique that has worked well in the past with some old fast ethernet cards.

The puc(4) driver attaches to the card, but the uart(4) driver doesn't pick up the ports and create the corresponding entries in /dev.

According to a post in this thread, the uart(4) driver doesn't pull in the code in dev/uart/uart_bus_puc.c unless 'puc' is in the kernel config. The post goes on to suggest a fix that involves removing 'puc' from the end of the line for uart_bus_puc.c in /sys/conf/files and rebuilding the kernel. Easy enough with FreeBSD, but not so much with FreeNAS.

Any suggestions on the best way to get the uart(4) driver in the FreeNAS kernel to work with the puc(4) driver loaded as a kernel module?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What card are you using?

dropoutjeep

Cadet
What card are you using?

StarTech PCI2S550

root@freenas:~ # lspci -nnvvs 4:1.0
04:01.0 Serial controller [0700]: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. PCI 9835 Multi-I/O Controller [9710:9835] (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 2S (16C550 UART) [1000:0002]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
Region 0: I/O ports at c150
Region 1: I/O ports at c140
Region 2: I/O ports at c130
Region 3: I/O ports at c120
Region 4: I/O ports at c110
Region 5: I/O ports at c100

root@freenas:~ #

Status
Not open for further replies.