Pass-through of onboard SATA to a FreeNAS VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer

Dabbler
I'm in the final stages of my home build and I'm going for virtualized setup with ESXi. There's still one thing I'm a little unclear about

The board I chose (ASRock Rack EPC612D4U) has 8x onboard SATA via the C612 chipset and I would like to pass this through to my FreeNAS VM instead of buying a separate HBA... jbod, no fake raid or anything

I've done some searching around and I'm not finding a lot of information, but I've read that there may be some issues doing this if the motherboard doesn't have a sata controller separate from the chipset. Does anyone know anything about this?

Last edited:

miniwalks

Dabbler
You'll have 2 options,
1) raw map all disks through to VM
2) pass-through the controller to the VM

Assuming your ESXi is booting from USB/SD, option 2 is the best best, then you can publish the storage back to ESXi from FreeNAS via NFS or iSCSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer

Dabbler
You'll have 2 options,
1) raw map all disks through to VM
2) pass-through the controller to the VM

Assuming your ESXi is booting from USB/SD, option 2 is the best best, then you can publish the storage back to ESXi from FreeNAS via NFS or iSCSI

Thanks. Yes I am booting ESXi from USB and sharing storage back over iSCSI

The problem is that I have read in a few places that, at least in some cases, you can't pass-through the onboard sata if the onboard sata controller is part of the chipset, rather than being its own independent controller. From my understanding anyway, I lack some knowledge about how that works. But then I found this post which led me to believe this might be possible:
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/esxi-6-0-passthrough-onboard-sata.8902/#post-81448

Still not totally sure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.