Part 2 - Dell T340 8-10 x 8TB drives

Julianh

Dabbler
Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice with my first questions. I decided to keep with the T340, 24 GB ram and 5x8TB SATA disks initially, expanding to 72TB when the bank balance allows.

It’s for media files via a smb share to an Emby server.

I’m setting up a ”raid 0” array, as I have another backup solution.

I have a spare ssd, and could use a nvme if needed, as a cache.

Given the nature of files and it’s a start, play the media file and stop scenario. Would the files be picked up and could the file be cached completely by a be read ahead cache, and then sent out?

Thanks

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Would the files be picked up and could the file be cached completely by a be read ahead cache, and then sent out?
I really don't understand what you mean. Could you please rephrase?

mrpasc

Dabbler
Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice with my first questions. I decided to keep with the T340, 24 GB ram and 5x8TB SATA disks initially, expanding to 72TB when the bank balance allows.

It’s for media files via a smb share to an Emby server.

I’m setting up a ”raid 0” array, as I have another backup solution.
This is a brave approach. If only one disk either dies or has a “hic-up” you will loose all data. So you need to re-create your pool afterwards and transfer all files back from your backup.
Given the nature of files and it’s a start, play the media file and stop scenario. Would the files be picked up and could the file be cached completely by a be read ahead cache, and then sent out?
No. There is no “tiering” with ZFS as you may think of (like it is with Windows storage spaces). There is no”read ahead” with ZFS. Only data already read (data and metadata) will stay in RAM ARC (read cache) as long as there is RAM available. This is why for ZFS “the more RAM the better”.
Welcome. If I’d be you I would start with the ZFS basics, there are good articles here at the forum. Search for “ZFS primer”