Options for virtualising Truenas with my hardware

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Hi all
I have been playing around with proxmox on another machine.
Instead of using truenas as the main OS, wish to virtualize it using proxmox.

So the machine I use DOES NOT support hardware passthrough, so using a flashed raid card is out.

How can I do this with my present hardware?

The reason I am looking to do this is bacuase of the chronic lack of support truenas has for a lot of network cards.

Proxmox, which is debian based is apparently great for network card support, well compared to FreeBSD that is.

10 gigabit cards that freebsd support are TOO EXPENSIVE.

Suggestions welcome that DOES NOT involve buying any extra hardware (other than an inexpensive NIC of my choice)

If I cannot find a suitable solution, it may be time for me to say goodbye to trunas.

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You might want to look into TrueNAS SCALE which is Debian based and uses KVM as the hypervisor. So you might get the best of both worlds.

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
It is in beta, so no.
Truenas core support for hardware is really awful in my opinion.
I have been having issues with iscsi, through the RTL 8125 2.5 gigbit adapter. Any intel ones as I stated are way too expensive and/or hard to get hold of where I live.

Oh and I put an old 120GB ssd into the same machine.
On it I installed proxmox, then a virtualised truenas with a small drive for storage, to setup a small ISCSi device. ISCSI on seems to work perfectly through proxmox.

I need a solution to attach hard drives directly to a VM inside proxmox that is stable.

I may try consider truenas scale, but are very weary.