OpenZFS new capabilities

turment

Dabbler
Now that OpenZFS 2.0 has been released as stable, is there any way to increase the pool size by adding a disk?

Having to backup and reimport data to increase pool size is really a PITA.

Second question: is there a way to recompress the pool from lz4 to ZSTD?

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Now that OpenZFS 2.0 has been released as stable, is there any way to increase the pool size by adding a disk?

If you're asking about RAIDZ expansion (and I think you are), the answer is still no (for now). https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/raidz-expansion-its-happening.58575

Although with the switch to Open ZFS we're on the path to it once somebody gets around to wiring the test plans and running through a bunch of test cycles to get it on the release track.

Be aware that what you get at the end isn't a pool in 100% great shape though, since all of the existing data is still there with n-1 + parity and only new data gets n + parity blocks. I would not personally feel great about that and would want to re-write all my data (even if it was just to copy it around between datasets inside the pool to get that worked out).

turment

Dabbler
If you're asking about RAIDZ expansion (and I think you are), the answer is still no (for now).
Thanks for your clear reply.

What about compression "transcoding"? Have I to backup and restore again to have it working on "old" files too?

sretalla