On the configuration of dual network card.

Dabbler
My NAS has two network interfaces.
My switch does not have link aggregation.
I would like to ask how to optimize the configuration of the network in this case?
If I plug in both my network cards,
It will cause my ASUS router (ax-88u)to crash. Or my NAS will be disconnected.
I set static IP 192.168.31.1 for the first network card.
The second network card I set up DHCP.
If I change the network configuration of the prison at will, it will also cause a crash.
My jails net configuration:
1590682632139.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If your switch doesn't support link aggregation, then there's nothing to be gained by connecting a second interface on your NAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If your switch doesn't support link aggregation, then there's nothing to be gained by connecting a second interface on your NAS.

Not true.

You can:

1) Use the second interface for jails

2) Create a second dedicated direct connection to some other host on the network to offload traffic

Just two of the easier options.

hervon

Patron
"1) Use the second interface for jails"

Thought it was much of a hassle because the second NIC has to be on a different subnet. Do you have an esay way to achieve it. Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can bring the second interface up without an IP address at all and bind all your jails VNET interfaces to it. FreeNAS will do that automatically via the bridge(4) pseudo interface. This way your FreeNAS "NAS traffic" will use one physical interface while your jails will use the other one effectively increasing your bandwidth. A bit ... and it depends ... but increase it will (as Yoda would put it).

There is no need for an interface to be on any subnet at all if you bridge other interfaces to it - which may then very well be on the same subnet as an arbitrarily different interface on the same box. Bridging is layer 2 ...

HTH,
Patrick

hervon

Patron
Created bridge1 using the other NIC. I use it of the jails. Seems to work. Thanks.