Old HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

victormff

Cadet
Hello...
I really wants to know if I can set freenas system in an old HP Pavilion.
I have 4 hard drives (3tb each) and will like to set a raid 10. Dont know if this old computer will supportit.
Any ideas or suggestions.....???
Thanks

BobCochran

Contributor
Can you tell us the model number of the Pavilion? Do you know the processor name? How much memory is on board? I know from experience that older Pavilion cases are extremely difficult to work with, the hardware is poor quality and everything is tightly jammed into the case. Just adding memory to the machine is a tough job. I can't really see you adding 4 hard drives to the older Pavilion cases, but maybe your Pavilion model (there are quite a few models) is newer than what I worked with.

Good luck!

Bob

victormff

Cadet
Thanks Bob for the quick response...
The PC is:
HP Pavilion A6057C
Processor: Intel Core 2 1.8ghz
2gb ram
Win XP 32bit

I was thinking probably get a new and bigger case so the hdd can fit.
So let me know whatcan I do..
Thanks
Victor

BobCochran

Contributor
Hi Victor, I don't have a lot of experience with FreeNAS, so take my ideas with a grain of salt. Well more salt than just a grain. I looked up your computer on the hp.com website. The front of the case looks nicer than the really old HP desktop systems. You have a P5LP-LE motherboard made by Asus, and that has only 4 SATA connectors on it and just one PCI Express x16 connector. That motherboard can only take a maximum of 4 Gb of memory. DDR2 memory is more expensive than today's DDR3. If you have a Core 2 Duo, it is 64 bit capable which is good. You you might be able to upgrade that to the Core 2 Duo E6850 for a low price. Overall, if you can upgrade your memory to 4 Gb cheaply, it might be worth trying. With all that said, let me stress that I am just starting to use FreeNAS -- but on a newer motherboard, the MSI 890GXM-G65, and with a 6 core processor that is showing it's age by today's standards. What do I really know? If you do decide to give things a shot with this motherboard, please let me know how it works out for you. I'm extremely interested in your project.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.