Offsite replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barric

Cadet
Hi, fairly new to freenas, not really used in anger before, but I have been given a situation where a site has Veeam backups going to a freenas server, and there are two different companies being backed up to freenas.
now they have a load of hot swap disks for off site replication to be slotted into the server... what I need to acheive is getting one storage pool(company 1) to replicate to an offsite disk and the other pool (company 2) to go to another disk... sounds fairly simple, but they have a set of off-site disks for each company backed up on this server, how can i ensure that the replication goes to the right hot swap disk, someone said it could be done with the serial number of the disk, so when the replication happens it will look for a particular disk(s) serial number and copy to it...

firstly is this possible and if so what would be the most reliable way of making sure the replication always goes to the correct hot swap no matter which slot it get put into....

bigphil

Patron
I'm confused here...do you have one server or two? freenas version? What type of replication are you trying to use? (i.e. zfs send/recv or rsync). As for making sure they go to the correct disks...if you create different pools using the different disks, then that will take care of that problem.

Barric

Cadet
Its one server
latest version of freenas
using rsync to copy so everything in one folder structure goes to one disk and everything in the other folder goes to another disk... apparently works fine if the disks are inserted in a certain order do they become (eg) sda5 and sda6
I need to make sure the right data gets replicated to the right hot swap disk, no matter where in the server its plugged in

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I need to make sure the right data gets replicated to the right hot swap disk, no matter where in the server its plugged in
If you think that using device names and inserting disks in a specific order is the right way to manage the process, you need to go all the way back to basics and learn what FreeNAS and ZFS are all about. Otherwise, you will end up with two very unhappy customers.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Agreed it seems like you don't have a grasp on even the very basic underpinnings of FreeNAS (i.e. disk management). Start there as @Robert Trevellyan said so you don't do anything you'll regret later.

The FreeNAS manual is a good place to start.
Then you should read cyberjock's noob slideshow
Then check out the resources section on these forums.

Good luck.

Barric

Cadet
Its ok thanks for input, I have got it sussed, using smartctl to query the serial number of the disk and then in my script i am checking the serial number against a list for a match then mounting it for backup and rsync'ing the correct set of data.. would have been eaiser if the company trading as two seperate companies bought two backup servers but it works, and so far has been fairly fool proof using this method

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So it's the source disks to be backed up that you're accessing by device name?

Status
Not open for further replies.