Odd behavior with file visibility

dwf2008

Dabbler
I have 2 pcs and a truenas server. I copy files from pc1 to truenas as a backup. All seems to go fine. After the copy I can see and manipulate the files. I then do the same from pc2. The copy seems to go fine. However after the copy I can see the copied directory structure but not the files within it. Move over to pc1 and I can see the files that were copied from pc2 with no problem. The user login for pc1 and pc2 are identical. Both pcs are running win10.

Any ideas on what I should look for to fix this?
Thanks

chuck32

Guru
The user login for pc1 and pc2 are identical. Both pcs are running win10.
The user login for windows or the (I assume) SMB share credentials?

Can you show your share configuration / give an example?

dwf2008

Dabbler
The user login for windows or the (I assume) SMB share credentials?

Can you show your share configuration / give an example?
The user login on both pcs is the same. Same username and same password. The credentials in truenas include the same username and password with the user (don) having full control. Not sure how to answer your second question.

I finally took a hammer to it, deleted the pool and started over. Created a new pool and dataset, but the result is the same. It is interesting to note that with pc1 I do not have a problem. However with pc2 I can copy & paste into the truenas share ok. But when I try to automate it with robocopy in a bat file I get an error that says the destination is write protected. The robocopy command is :

robocopy F:\ \\10.0.0.99\DonsData\Backups\robocopy\Intel_i7\DriveF

This same command works just fine in pc1.

chuck32

Guru
Create a new user in truenas or two (one for each machine). Give them the same rights, apply permissions recursively.

Delete the SMB credentials on both windows machines and then delete the network shares in Windows and add them back with the newly created credentials.

My guess is that using the same login for windows and SMB are troublesome and introduces permission problems related to Windows.

I meant the SMB share screen where you configure your credentials.

dwf2008

Dabbler
Chuck32 - Thanks for your suggestions. After a great deal of experimenting and trial & error (including your suggestions) I think I have determined that the problem is not with Truenas. Rather it lies with robocopy. If you are not familiar with robocopy, it is a powerful copy utility provided by windows. I never heard of it until a few weeks ago myself. For whatever reason Microsoft decided it should tag folders and files as hidden and readonly if they are being copied from the root directory of a drive and the user has not specified what the attributes should be. I am running a test right now which will verify a solution.

Thanks