SOLVED not finding network from server console/FreeNAS user interface from external machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicaba

Dabbler
in the meanwhile ...
My gateway is 192.168.1.1 ... So I configured it in the menu 4 "Configure Default Route".
Reboot ... Gateway unreachable!
I know from before that the server has the address 192.168.1.133 ... I ping from another machine on the network and get a reply!
Why can the server:
1- find the gateway on its own?
2- find its own address like any other machine on the network

If I access 192.168.1.133 through a web browser of another machine on the network I get onto the motherboard interface, and not on the Freenas user interface!
What's wrong?

Redcoat

MVP
Please check that you have your network cable plugged into the upper LAN port and you have no cable plugged into the IPMI port. Log in to IPMI - the motherboard interface - (admin, admin, is the default), select Remote Control tab, then the Java console button. Assuming java plays well (if it doesn't, come back here and describe exactly what you are seeing and what browser and OS you are using) you will get the FreeNAS Console menu in the remote window that opens - and that should show you the URL of the current GUI. Put that in your browser and go for it.

Last edited:

Nicaba

Dabbler
The network cable is already in the uppermost LAN port (it is written: MGMT).
Did connected to the motherboard interface. Wen to the remote control tab. Chose Java ... had to install latest version for the specific browser (I guess I will have to update for which ever browser/machine I will try to access the server from) ...
Then I got the following error message:
upload_2018-2-27_19-29-11.png

exception is:
upload_2018-2-27_19-30-58.png

Tried with Firefox, Edge and Chrome ... same result!

Nick2253

Wizard
If you read the error, you will see that the IPMI console is signed with a weak cryptographic algorithm, so java is treating it as unsigned. If you want to allow Java connect to it, you will have to create a security exception for that IP address.

Nicaba

Dabbler
@Nick2253 thx.
I am not sure how to create such a security exception. Is this on the machine I connect from or on the server?
What confuses me is that it use to work and suddenly not anymore. Would this be due to some software/security update that happened between August and December 2017?

Nick2253

Wizard

Nicaba

Dabbler
It gave the same error:
upload_2018-2-27_21-15-0.png

Nick2253

Wizard

Nicaba

Dabbler
Same results:
upload_2018-2-28_7-43-21.png

Nick2253

Wizard
Did you add the site to both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Java?

Nicaba

Dabbler
How do I do that?
I do not even know which of the 2 version I have installed!

Nicaba

Dabbler
I am not sure we are looking at the right end of my problem.
The title of the thread is misleading ... it should be more that FreeNAS GUI is not visible from other machines while the server hardware itself is.
On the server, when installing FreeNAS, the server seems unable to automatically get the gateway and its address from the router.
I had to configure it from the server console.
However when booting it tells me that the Network is unreachable. It is also unable to start the dhclient (no link .... giving up), but I believe it is somehow linked to the same issue.
I previously configured the Network interface from the server console, providing the address of the server (192.168.1.133), but it didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
I do not even know which of the 2 version I have installed!
Most likely, if you are on 64-bit computer, you have both installed. If the Java app you are running is 32-bit (which is pretty common), you'll need to make changes for the 32-bit applet. However, if you just run the config, it will typically just make changes for the 64-bit because that is what will open by default.

A good way to see if this is a problem is to check task manager, and see if the app is 32-bit.

I am not sure we are looking at the right end of my problem.
Most likely, I would assume that you do not have a network cable plugged in to one of the NICs. The IPMI NIC and the server NICs are separate, independent devices, and you will need different network connections for each.

Nicaba

Dabbler
... the task manger tells me it is version 32-bit.

"NIC, IPMC NIC" ... Here you will have to help me understand what it means (I am sorry to be so knowledge-less!).
I would be surprise this could be a issue. It use to work last August (fresh installed and had to do absolutely nothing to get it to work!). Then I had to switch of the server for some month. In December it would not be visible from other machines anymore. Cabling and al other stuff were exactly the same (I didn't actually touch anything). What I did now, in my despair, was to install the latest version of Freenas in hope to it would solve the issue by itself.

Nick2253

Wizard
I hope this doesn't come off to snarky, but did you search for it? The first Google hit for "NIC acronym" and "IPMI acronym" is your answer.

Let's go back through this step by step. On the back of your motherboard are three NIC ports (Network Interface Card). The single NIC port above the USB ports is the dedicated IPMI port (Intelligent Platform Management Interface). The two NIC ports on top of each other are accessible to the server. In order for your server to have network access, a network cable must be connected to one of those two NIC ports. I believe that IPMI can output over the dedicated NIC or Lan1, though I would recommend a dedicated cable to avoid any kind of traffic conflicts.

A quick search for various issues showed that some weird glitch can happen during an IPMI update that causes Lan1 to be blocked by the IPMI, and an IPMI reset will fix that problem. I would recommend plugging in the cable to Lan2 to avoid this conflict (port closest to motherboard).

Nicaba

Dabbler
Well, I did google that, but it doesn't speak to me.
Now we have a directional challenge ... what seems to be up for you is right to me!
So the port "above/right of the USB ports has a MNGT (above/beside) ... that I would it interpret to be the IP Management I.
I have now chosen 1 of the 2 other LAN port (probably the Lan2 (on the left /lowest one) ... and magic ... it starts to behave differently in the log:
No error on the gateway/network. The dhclient 1 started ...
Everything looks better and the server got a new address (???) 192.168.1.137!
I managed to login to the FreeNAS interface. The server found the discs as before the upgrade :).
Now I'll have to remember the Domain name, account and passwords!
Thanks for your support.
I really do not understand how this did work in the first place, but I am happy I get it through!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicaba

Dabbler
to be noted that the mother board is still at 192.168.1.133!

Nick2253

Wizard
The IPMI is a completely separate and independent system from whatever you are running on your server. It has its own IP address, own username and password, own software, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.