Noob with questions.... A lot of em... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shugs81

Cadet
Right peeps....

Been looking to build a file server for a while now but struggled a bit trying to find out what I needed to know... and thoughts turned to a NAS solution...

Currently have a high powered rig as I do 3d design stuff (aiming to make games but still a long way off) so you can imagine having the beast run 24/7 is damn expensive!!!

After looking at the 4 bay boxes and being a bit shocked by the price I discovered this and thought I might as well build one cause I could do it much cheaper!!

I found a CFI-A7879 case... Mini Itx with 4 bay hot swap... reasonable price at £80
I have a 2tb drive in my pc with all my TV/movies on and another 1.5gb drive with all my music on and other stuff on...

My requirements from a nas (if possible... let me know if it isn't!! :D) :
  • Media Streaming - I have a ps3 and a Roku... would like to stream to both but thinking of ditching the roku for a Rasberry pi with xbmc on it....
  • General file storage - I have loads of work on the go so would like a central storage area for it all
  • Torrent client - obvs! ( sorry... obviously...)
  • Music streaming - For iTunes and such... also is there a way to communicate ratings and tag info (like lyrics and pictures) as my ipod will not connect to linux for some reason and no one seems to want to help me work it out... :( also not necessarily using itunes, just as long as I can sync playcount and tags...
  • Need to be able to share with Linux and Windows
I'd like to keep it always on and possibly share over the internet as well as locally, but that's not necessary... just a want rather than a need...

and would it be possible to do webhosting from a separate partition on one of the disks? <-- total random extra thought just as I was about to post! :D (yes or no for that as it's possibly a year or two away...)

I use Linux mainly but also us Windows 7.... I use torrents quite a lot and as my machine is quite high powered I'd like to be able to turn it off from time to time rather than leaving it on 24/7 :D

What sort of specs should i be looking at for an ITX board to be able to do all the stuff stated that isn't going to cost the earth to run?

oh.. and potentially would like to be able to run a box.com and dropbox shares too... unless I can get an android app to access files (maybe astro??) and download to my phone whenever?

umm... i hope I've covered everything... if not I'm sure I can add more! :D

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.