BUILD Node 304 Build in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKersh

Dabbler
Being in Australia and trying to build a NAS at the moment is depressing :S

I agree with you - I was going to build a box in the next month or so using the Fractal Design Node 804 case with the hardware from the 'recommended hardware' thread but now after nickt's experience, my confidence in using Newegg from Australia has taken a beating :(

gabs247

Cadet
Thanks, I don't want to ignore ECC but it's just difficult to find a reasonably priced mobo with support. I might be able to get a Supermicro X11SLL-F for about $300, and then an i3 6100 then I could get ECC and have the dual Intel nics as well. It's a fair bit more, than the basic build but my data is important (photos/videos of the kids). The other thing I am concerned with the i3 is how much more power it would use compared to the C2750? I know it has more power, in terms of transcoding 1080p, but what about power consumption? I've read users indicate it probably draws around 45-50W idle which is only about 5W more than the C2750 idle, does that sound right? But what about under load? What sort of yearly cost would it be, because then maybe paying the premium for the C2750 is worthwhile??? Sorry, going off topic...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The other thing I am concerned with the i3 is how much more power it would use compared to the C2750?
It's probably a wash in idle. The rest of the system will make a much bigger difference. ASRock Rack's C2x50 boards add some 10W due to a PCI-e switch that enables the crap Marvell SATA ports.

But what about under load?
TDP is higher, but I expect the difference to be small, when integrated over time. Certainly not something I'd worry about in a home setting.

because then maybe paying the premium for the C2750 is worthwhile???
Highly doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.