no-ip.com Replication Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llibyddap

Cadet
My basic setup is two Freenas boxes (one on 11.1 u5 [Alpha/push] and the other on 11.1 u6 [Beta/pull]). I've created a datastore snapshot on Alpha, replicated that snapshot to Beta all on/under the same network (router). From the Beta I can clone the snapshot, mount it and navigate the files. I'm using the dedicated user method. Basically it all works when I'm on the same network.

I then switch to an outside network and it breaks. I've tried two methods both have the same issue which leads me to believe it's an Alpha settings issue.

Both methods have the the router pointing Port 22 to the the Beta FreeNAS box. Both methods show an error of:

Failed to connect to remote: _ssl.c:761: The handshake operation timed out

The error occurs when trying to setup the replication task on Alpha for the push to Beta.

Method 1 - Dynamic DNS Services

I've used the built in FreeNAS service for Dynamic DNS and selected the no-ip.com GUI. Settings are:

provider: no-ip.com
checkIP server SSL: blank
checkIP server: blank
checkIP path: blank
use ssl: checked
Domain name: mydomain.ddns.net
Username: [no-ip.com user name]
password: ***
confirm password: ***
update period: 3000

I can see ibadan updating the new IP# address. So I think that's working.

Method 2 - Router DNS

I've turned off the FreeNAS Dynamic DNS Service and used the router service. Same effect.

In both cases, I cannot SSH into the FreeNAS box using the dedicated user. But in both cases I can SSH into the FreeNAS box using ROOT and a password.

That leads me to believe that I've done something wrong when setting up the dedicated user when it comes to a DDNS that otherwise worked when on the same network.

Caveat - - I'm no IT guy... just a hobbiest, so anything too concise may have a follow-up question. Thanks in advance.

Llibyddap

Cadet
OK - figured it out... I was using the Semi-automatic setup and taking the key from the Beta server and including it in the replication dialog box (which is how I setup the local network replication tasks). I instead tried to using the Manual setup. Rather than using the Temporary Auth Token in the replication I simply used the SSH Key Scan from the replication dialog box. This populated the Remote hostkey with the mydomain.ddns.net ssh-rsa key, the ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 key and the ssh-ed25519 key.

For completeness, I would be interested in understanding how pulling the hostkey's from the domain (rather than directly from the FreeNAS box) is secure? I'm going to guess that it is because the Dedicated User on each end of the transaction are identical (same keys, UID, name, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.