No disks in Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy

Cadet
Specs: Fujitsu Siemens Computer, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor, 3700+, 2.21GHz, 1.00GB RAM 32bit.

Hi!
I'm trying to setup a NAS with FreeNAS using UFS because I have so bad specs on my server. The OS is installed on a USB flashdrive with an additional hard drive.

The problem I'm having is, the hard drive won't show up when I click on Storage in the FreeNAS GUI on the web.

Would appreciate any help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The best advice in this situation is give up on FreeNAS, and use a different OS, or get a better (real) server.

sremick

Patron
UFS support is dead as of FreeNAS 9.3, you have 1/8th of the required RAM, it's not ECC RAM, and AMD CPUs are known to have quirky/intermittent issues to the point of them being not recommended and pretty much zero support given if you ask for troubleshooting. And it sounds like you only have 1 hard drive, so what's the point?

You're nowhere near having the required hardware for FreeNAS.

solarisguy

Guru
@Freddy, if you ignore the other guys ;)

It appears, that your SATA(?) controller is not compatible. Please read hardware recommendations posted in this forum. You will realize that you would need to buy new hardware no matter which direction you take, if staying with FreeNAS.

If you go to some old software that accommodates your hardware, you run the risk of the software being with bugs (corrected in later versions which you cannot use) or unsupported...

If money is tight, you can spend time and learn Unix and then you can install just the operating system and do not need to use an appliance (like FreeNAS).

Freddy

Cadet
@Freddy, if you ignore the other guys ;)

It appears, that your SATA(?) controller is not compatible. Please read hardware recommendations posted in this forum. You will realize that you would need to buy new hardware no matter which direction you take, if staying with FreeNAS.

If you go to some old software that accommodates your hardware, you run the risk of the software being with bugs (corrected in later versions which you cannot use) or unsupported...

If money is tight, you can spend time and learn Unix and then you can install just the operating system and do not need to use an appliance (like FreeNAS).
Thanks! I will look into a new OS to run then.
This is just a side project and not a serious one which is why I got a crappy old computer and don't want to spend money. ;)

sremick

Patron
why I got a crappy old computer and don't want to spend money. ;)
I learned pretty quickly that FreeNAS is not for old computers and people who don't want to spend money. It's for people who want to build a quality modern NAS but would like to use free, open-source software on the software side of things to do it. A lot of people are using it on servers that cost more than your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.