NFS through firewall using port 929?

junior466

Explorer
Greetings!

I've been trying to mount a NFS share onto my Ubuntu server from FreeNAS through my router's firewall (VLAN segregation) and was having a hell of a time since I thought that the only ports needed were 111 and 2049. After failing over and over I decided to look at my router logs and sure enough, it was also using port 929. I did a quick search for NFS and port 929 and didn't find anything that suggests this port needs to be open.

Could someone shed any light on port 929 and why is it needed for NFS?

Thank you.

KrisBee

Wizard
Sounds like your are using NFSv3 and mountd is running on tcp/udp port 929. Check output of rpcinfo -p on your FreeNAS box.

junior466

Explorer
Sorry for the delay in replying. I posted the same question in another website and I was told:

"IIRC NFS uses "random" ports that are decided by the RPC portmapper, which is what runs on 111.
So you have to allow 111 in order for the two endpoints to talk, and negotiate what the actual port should be. If you're lucky, your firewall can "sniff" those messages and dynamically open the right port. If you're not, you can either open a wide range of ports, or I believe you can limit the port choice on the NFS server so you can tie it down to one/a few ports."

So in the end, I had to bind port 929 in FreeNAS since the port would change upon restart. Issue resolved.

Thanks for the follow up!