NextCloud: Linux vs FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I currently have NC installed on a Linux virtualbox (on a Linux host). It works fine, but that (host) machine only has a 128SSD installed and it's a weaksauce J1900 SoC.

I am thinking about migrating to a FreeNAS jail on my main FreeNAS box.

Are there any Pros/Cons of having this on a BSD vs Linux box? Or any pros/cons with this on a FreeNAS box?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nextcloud runs great on FreeBSD. We run it in production for customers and I have a private installation on my FreeNAS at home. I use a VM but in our data centre we use jails - pick what you feel most comfortable with.

In case of the VM I recommend NFS-mounting a separate FreeNAS dataset to, say, /var/nextcloud and use that as storage. For a jail you can use a local nullfs mount which can be configured with iocage fstab.

Rough sketch of the procedure and the necessary components:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...deo-management-like-iphoto.41183/#post-423088

HTH,
Patrick

scrappy

Patron
You shouldn't have any issues. I have installed Nextcloud on FreeBSD manually and using ports. Everything works as intended if you do it correctly.

oguruma

Patron
Has anybody used any of the various "apps" for NC such as Collabora or "Talk"?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The minor NextCloud apps like mail, talk, calendar, contacts all work since they are written in PHP.

Collabora consists of two parts - one "app", that can be installed on a FreeBSD based NextCloud, and a backend Collabora server that is only offered as a Docker container :(

Patrick

Last edited:

oguruma

Patron
Thanks for the input. Is there a workaround for this? I currently use 365, and I am trying to give Microsoft as little of my money as possible. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
  • Try the RancherOS based Docker support in FreeNAS 11? ;) or
  • Install NextCloud in a Linux VM
Patrick

danb35

Hall of Famer
a backend Collabora server that is only offered as a Docker container
The backend Collabora server is also offered as packages--at least as RPMs, and I think as .debs as well. Still takes Linux, though. Another option would be OnlyOffice, but I'm not aware of a way to run that on FreeBSD either. Though, of course, either of them could go in a VM on FreeNAS if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.