Newbie networking questions - Windows and Linux access

blueghost

Cadet
Hello everyone
This is my first post, and indeed my first go at any sort of networking. I am a TOTAL newbie to networking so I would just ask for people to be easy on me. I am not a lazy person looking for spoon feeding. I will read documentation, experiment etc so I am not afraid of putting the time in.

If anybody is able to point to documentation that helps me with my questions I will be very grateful and I will check it out. Any direct help or tips is also very much appreciated.

So I am dabbling with a little set up, 2 X 6TB drives that I have got going in a mirrored configuration. That is as far as I have gone because I want my steps from here to be correct. I have two questions.

1. I didn't encrypt these drives...is it possible to go back and make them encrypted once I have already made a pool of them? This is no big matter but I thought I'd ask.

2. I have both Windows and Linux pcs. From what I can see so far I have to, for example, make a dataset that will accommodate windows via sambashare. This looks straightforward. Can someone point me to where there are instructions as to how I hook my Linux pcs up in the same manner?

And last question...I had envisioned the server storage being a place where I could go with either a Linux pc or a Windows pc and store things in a common place that either pc could go back to to retrieve, work on etc. Do the two different operating systems store things on separate parts of the server and therefore, for example, the Linux pc could not access where the Windows pc had saved things? In my preliminary reading of the documentation that I am still getting my head around, did read that this was a bad idea and from reading it appears that what I am after isn't possible.

If I can get some help here with this either by pointing me to links or via comments I thank you in advance.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Currently, you can only encrypt your pool on creation. It's not possible to encrypt a pool afterwards; this may change in FreeNAS 12, when ZFS dataset encryption becomes available.

Assuming you're using Ubuntu, you can attach to a Samba share from Nautilus like so: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/nautilus-connect.html.en. After entering the network URL smb://<FreeNAS IP>/<your share name>, you'll be prompted for a username and password.

Both Windows and Linux can attach to the same share and access the same directories and files. I do this myself without issues, and it's a convenient way to move files back and forth between platforms.

sretalla