New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
Sorry for the post. I search a lot normally for an answer but, I really could find anything. I updated from 22.02.2 to 22.02.2.1 and received the below error on both my pools.

New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool ssd_mirror. Upgrading pools is a one-time process that can prevent rolling the system back to an earlier TrueNAS version. It is recommended to read the TrueNAS release notes and confirm you need the new ZFS feature flags before upgrading a pool.​

So how do I update the ZFS feature flags? I just booted back to 22.02.2 and all back to normal. I am sure the answer is staring me in the face,

It's not an "error". And I don't like the way TrueNAS portrays it as "requiring your attention!"

It's best to ignore it and leave your pools as they are. If you don't know what "features" your pools are missing out on by not upgrading them, then you don't really need such new features.

If you upgrade your pools, and then later want to downgrade TrueNAS, or import them into a different server with an older version of ZFS, or wish to avoid potential replication issues, it can be too late if you've already upgraded them. Just leave the pools as they are. It's the safest bet.

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
Well with that upgrade the pools are DOA. 22.02.2.1. How would you find out what features would be needed. (just for future reference).

Is this the document?

Last edited:
Well with that upgrade the pools are DOA. 22.02.2.1.
What do you mean they're DOA on SCALE 22.02.2.1? (Did you already "upgrade" the pools?)

You can ignore/dismiss the notification and still use your pools.

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
What do you mean they're DOA on SCALE 22.02.2.1? (Did you already "upgrade" the pools?)

You can ignore/dismiss the notification and still use your pools.
No, I did not upgrade the pools. The pools had big red X's on them after that upgrade 22.02.2.1. The error is one above.

No, I did not upgrade the pools. The pools had big red X's on them after that upgrade 22.02.2.1.
Yikes. :oops:

Did you have a chance to run the command zpool status -v? or even check the pool's status page in the GUI?

And yet, no such red X when you downgrade to 22.02.2?

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
Yikes. :oops:

Did you have a chance to run the command zpool status -v? or even check the pool's status page in the GUI?

And yet, no such red X when you downgrade to 22.02.2?
When I boot back into 22.02.2 everything is fine. That's why I'm wondering about updating the ZFS Feature Flags. Where does that come from? Is that a manual thing?

When I boot back into 22.02.2 everything is fine. That's why I'm wondering about updating the ZFS Feature Flags.
I think you're confusing two different things together.

The "feature flags, upgrade is possible" is triggered when the version of ZFS on the system is newer and can support extra features that have not yet been implemented or made available in the zpool. Booting into SCALE 22.02.2.1 likely ships with a higher version of ZFS with new available features, and hence you're seeing this notification.

The pools had big red X's on them after that upgrade 22.02.2.1.
However, seeing the "red X" icons on your pools when you boot into 22.02.2.1 is likely another issue. It could be a display bug, a middleware bug, or something else. That's why I suggested using zpool status -v to see if it shows any warnings or errors with your pools.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Every time the ZFS in the kernel or a kernel module gets updated to a version with new features, one can - but not necessarily should - upgrade the pools to use those new features.

This is not an error or in any way a problem. zpool status simply tells you that new features are available. The drawback if you decide to enable them is that you lose backwards compatibility. Older versions of ZFS cannot import and use the pool any longer after upgrading.

That's a summary. There are individual features that can be enabled and the pool can still be used with older ZFS versions, unless you actually enable and use them on some dataset or some such. Then it's game over, no way back.

But again: this is all not in any way a problem and just ZFS' way to maintain backwards compatibility and enable use of new features and code under full control of the admin.

Now why your TrueNAS middleware and UI make such a fuss about that, I really don't know. Best to open an issue in JIRA and complain, IMHO. This is really irritating to inexperienced users.

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
I think you're confusing two different things together.

The "feature flags, upgrade is possible" is triggered when the version of ZFS on the system is newer and can support extra features that have not yet been implemented or made available in the zpool. Booting into SCALE 22.02.2.1 likely ships with a higher version of ZFS with new available features, and hence you're seeing this notification.

However, the issue of "red X" pools when you boot into 22.02.2.1 is likely another issue. It could be a display bug, a middleware bug, or something else. That's why I suggested using zpool status -v to see if it shows any warnings or errors with your pools.
OK, I can boot back into SCALE 22.02.2.1 and run that command. BRB.

Ghosts.

Has to be the ghosts...