New TrueNas home server

JamesBong

Dabbler
I’m currently looking for a new TrueNas server for my home. I currently have 24 disks split amongst an HP ;54L server, a couple of NAS (Qnap and Netgear) and my own desktop computer. I was looking to have one single NAS system without breaking the bank that could ensure reliability in the long run. Since I use my storage mostly for backup and (very rarely) video streaming, I definitely prefer reliability over performance. What would be your advice for a new server (though it can be used) that can use some of my current disks (all WD Red between 2-4tb) within a reasonable cost?

Thank you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
While reusing the current disks is attractive, it means a big system. That means physically large, large power draw, large price tag (though this can be mitigated with used gear), and probably noisy. You might be better off with a four-bay system and some new 16+-TB disks. Lately, I'm liking the HPE MicroServers--the Gen10+ is a particularly nice piece of kit, but seems much more pricey now than when I bought mine. The Gen8 is still quite capable, and available used (with a Xeon) for around US$300. Another option (even more compact) would be an Intel-based QNAP box, on which you can run TrueNAS as well. But remote management is better on the MicroServers.

JamesBong

Dabbler
While reusing the current disks is attractive, it means a big system. That means physically large, large power draw, large price tag (though this can be mitigated with used gear), and probably noisy. You might be better off with a four-bay system and some new 16+-TB disks. Lately, I'm liking the HPE MicroServers--the Gen10+ is a particularly nice piece of kit, but seems much more pricey now than when I bought mine. The Gen8 is still quite capable, and available used (with a Xeon) for around US$300. Another option (even more compact) would be an Intel-based QNAP box, on which you can run TrueNAS as well. But remote management is better on the MicroServers.

Thanks! Wouldn't a microserver limit significantly any future expansion options? Any advice on an option that could take on 8-12 disks?

danb35

Hall of Famer
8+ bays generally means rack-mount gear, which goes back to big, lots of power, and noisy. If those things didn't bother me, and I wanted 12 bays, I'd probably be looking at something like this:
or this:
(though on the Dell, you'd want to replace the RAID controller with a HBA)

Another option, as I mentioned above, is certain QNAP models--some of them are Intel-based and reportedly run TrueNAS pretty well. This one looks like it would fit the bill:

It doesn't give you all the server-grade niceties like ECC RAM and remote management (which the microservers also have), but it's a small, quiet package with eight bays. But I'd want to hear from someone who knows more about those-- @elvisimprsntr, maybe?

Etorix

Wizard
A desktop option for 8-10 drives would be a custom build in a Fractal Design Node 804 case, with a server-grade micro-ATX motherboard.
Possibly not as noisy as a rack-mount server and its banshee fans, but still noisy because of the drives themselves. No hot swap bays.

JamesBong

Dabbler
A desktop option for 8-10 drives would be a custom build in a Fractal Design Node 804 case, with a server-grade micro-ATX motherboard.
Possibly not as noisy as a rack-mount server and its banshee fans, but still noisy because of the drives themselves. No hot swap bays.
This looks like a really good option. Any advice on the motherboard and raid card to get?

Jessep

Patron
8+ bays generally means rack-mount gear, which goes back to big, lots of power, and noisy.
This isn't necessarily true. I've built many versions of FN/TN systems in FD Rx cases and while they can be made quiet they are equal or more cost than a used RM server, and the FD systems have more annoying issues in my experience.

Dell systems are only annoying as they attempt to lock up the fan control (likely to limit system damage and support calls) and implement strange undocumented "features" (see below).

In the x30 series (R730, R630, T630, etc.)the most annoying thing I ran into that took forever to track down as it's not listed anywhere is that if you use a NON RAID card (i.e. HBA330) the fan control stops reading the drive temperatures and sets the MINIMUM fan PWM to 40%.

With an 8bay R630 using the onboard SATA connectors (i.e. no HBA) the fans work correctly and the power draw on a dual CPU system with 128GB RAM is ~70w in ESXi with minimal workloads. It's also as quiet as a FD system. This should also work with 8bay R730 systems, larger drive counts would require an HBA and hit the annoying fan issue.

This CAN be controlled with fan scripts through IMPI in the same way SM servers can be, likely using the same fan scripts modifying for IPMI access on Dell.

There are some things to consider with attempting to lower power consumption in servers:
  • Fans use power, lots of fans use more power, server fans use even more power
  • Power supply sizing
  • Turn off everything not used in the BIOS
    • USB, SATA, SERIAL, etc all consume power if not disabled
  • Understanding where you measure power consumption
  • Test where you want the ACPI P-states, ACPI C-states controlled (BIOS vs. OS) as there can be a big difference in power savings

Etorix

Wizard
This looks like a really good option. Any advice on the motherboard and raid card to get?
There are plenty of micro-ATX server boards to choose from…
My picks would be a Supermicro X11SCH/M/L (or even X11SS_) with a matching Core i3, but these seem to get more expensive as they get out of supply. Or AsRockRack X470/X570/B550 D4U on the AMD side of things. Or a Xeon-D board if you can find a bargain on one…
Many of the above provide 8 SATA ports, if you don't mind managing cables. A few have an on-board SAS HBA. Othervise, any LSI 9200/9300 HBA will do—do NOT go for a "RAID card" with ZFS.

Consider that the Node 804 is quite bulky for a "shoebox" case, that installing/replacing drives takes some time, and that the noise goes out through the mesh top. This is NOT a system one wants to keep in the living or bedroom!

xames

Patron
I have gen10 in living room and is fine no many noise
Now i have to buy something similar for office, but i need 10gb lan nic, what option i have there? and a rack 19" one, wich?